Best 24v solution? Or is 36v the bare minimum?

Hi all,

Budget: <400AUD <300USD
Speed: <25 km/h
Power: 250w
Other: Not applicable. I think. Just a spare kit to have fun on.

Long time reader. Excellent info allover the place, but my google and search skills aren't coming up with the perfect 24v system for me. currently using a 3kw Cyclone on 29er and loving it, but also looking into a street legal kit (250w and <25km/h). Bike is either 29 or 26 depending on which system I choose.

I have 20 older 18650s I would like to use for this project. I accept this is a puny system in advance and will only have a <10 km range on pure electric.

Can this kit be run undervolted to 24 or 36v? It's one of the cheapest i could find. Is it just a case of using a lower voltage controller? https://www.ebay.com.au/p/48v-Front-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Conversion-Kit-1000w-E-Bike-Cycling-Hub/575197322?iid=112353839710

Is a motor like this even worth considering? From what I gather it needs extra components to get gearing right. https://www.banggood.com/DC-24V-Electric-Motor-Brushed-250W-2750RPM-2-Wired-Chain-For-E-Bike-Scooter-p-988386.html?rmmds=detail-left-hotproducts__6&cur_warehouse=CN

Other strong contenders are q100 or q85 types from bmsbattery. Only problem is they are probably double and more the price of the above to get shipped to Australia. If there are other good 24v or 36v solutions let me know!

q1. Can a 48v motor be run at 24v or 36v safely? Is it just a matter of changing the controller? I understand a lot of people overvolt safely (to a degree) but am unclear on what undervolting would change in wear or suitability of an e bike motor.

q2. Is it worth trying to adapt the 2750rpm motor above to a mid-drive? I'm not entirely sure on what needs to be done to adapt it.

q3. Should I give up on the idea of a cheaper solution than a bmsbattery kit? I'm pretty new to this hobby, and have only followed instructions on a 3kw cyclone pre-made kit.

q4. If I settle on a bmsbattery kit, can the same motor be run at different voltages? To me it looks like the same motors are packaged with different components to make the kits. If i buy a q100 or q128 can they be paired with 24v to 48v controllers?

Voltage as a number doesn't mean much on an ebike.

The best you can do is pick a value that works well with the controller, as the motor could care less, especially at the 250w range.

Back