What type of motor of use for powerful DIY ebike?

Barely_Legal

1 µW
Pls keep in mind i am 14 so my budget is relatively slim and i want stupid amounts of power :)
budget: lower the better hopefully well under $200 (i know stretching it thin xD)
So i built a DIY ebike a while ago. it runs off of a 500w brushed motor from eBay which has been rigged onto the frame of the bike. I recently messed up my back wheel pretty bad (only got some sand in the bearings took wheel apart to clean and the axel is macerated) and i want more power from my bike/ want to just do a completely new build. so what better time to do that than when my bike is out of action :).
1st question: i had all of the weight of my e bike on the back (motor batteries and me) so it was a pretty uncomfortable ride. in my build i defiantly wont have batteries on back wheel or motor so should i buy a bike frame with rear suspension or not? also i want to do small amounts of jumps trick ect but i also use this bike to get EVERYWHERE and use it every day on the road.

2nd question: what motor to use?: i want lots of power (its been a dream of mine to be able to spin my tyres and just have fun at insane speeds and acceleration and treat hills like they're not even there (small but steep hills with only like a 10-30m climb). not sure if a cheap treadmill motor will have what i want, a cheap brushed/ brush-less motor off of ebay or if i should go with an easier to use plug n play 1000w motor kit.

3rd question: my current bike is unstable AF even at 40km/h so should i get a larger bike frame for better handling at speed? but i still want to be able to do so riding on trails with high manoeuvrability.

4th question: will a large RC motor do the trick? and are there any that would that are fairly cheap? (i know nothing about RC electronics)

i know this is a loaded post but im unsure where to go from here. i'm repairing my broken e bike but its low torque is becoming more limiting to be, especially as i now tow trailers full of PCs. Im willing to do lots of DIYing and want to end up with a bike that can try to keep up with the much more expensive E-bikes.

I would buy a used f/s mtb frame if the route is in poor condition or otherwise rough. For smooth trails and pavement a ht would work. RC motors are expensive whereas a cyclone motor is cheap also there is a bafang mid drive knock off available forget its name it costs around $350

If you dream to build a poweful ebike with 200$, you are diving into recycling engineering and artisanal fabrication. Even then, some of the components required will be hard to find within your budget.

Just save your money and buy a kit, they are cheap.
Perhaps the cheapest are
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/24V-250W-MY1016-Electric-Scooter-Brushrf-Motor-Speed-Controller-Twist-Throttle/253170706526?hash=item3af226685e:g:87oAAOSwGFpZxpAJ

How interesting to have someone bring up "Keep in mind I'm 14." Have I EVER heard that before?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-W-48V-DC-1020-electric-motor-kit-w-base-control-box-Throttle-f-scooter/151878201347?hash=item235ca57003:g:3Y4AAOSwwbdWP2~b

But do you want to mount the motor, etc., just as before?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1000W-Electric-Bicycle-Cycle-E-Bike-26-Rear-Wheel-Conversion-Kit-Hub-Motor/112689873572?epid=7005510572&hash=item1a3cd702a4:g:

And the damn page won't open for me, I have only the link to go on. But if I buy this for 99 cents will I really get free shipping?
https://www.ebay.com/p/26-in-Bike-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Motor-Bicycle-Conversion-Kit-48v-1000w/7005510572?iid=222954595593&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50544%26meid%3Db20f6081c7ac4e36b77997fe6bd665f4%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D112689873572%26itm%3D222954595593&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
a 14yo can actually fix an alternator

As in convert an alternator into an e-bike motor? Seems like just the ticket if you want to do "stupid" 14 year old kinda stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AguZTMZEVk

I just got word that my weekly meeting at the college someone stole a members bike. Right from the hallway. We used to put them in the hallway, but the janitor told us to move them to the door, 25' away from the classroom we rent from the college.

There are no suitable places to lock up.

Luckily I scored an abandoned bicycle a month ago. I will use it for my once a week commute to that meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqy3rRWJQE&t=7s

Hmm,, you got a job? real job? At 14 I did, (illegal) and bought a motorcycle to get to it, which had no title but an old plate. No matter that the motorcycle was illegal, since riding it at was too. :roll: :lol: Told my parents all this shit was legal, and they bought it. 8)

I hate to try to convince a 14 year old to be patient, but really, what you need is that job, then buy your motorcycle. Start small, like one of those groms, which btw, wheelie nicely.

What to do meanwhile though, till you can get a motorcycle license?

Uhhh, forget motorcycle like performance. But moped performance can be cheap. Find the least expensive "48v 1000w" rear wheel direct drive brushless motor kit you can come up with. Run it on what you can come up with for battery now, even if its sucky lead. Run it on whatever bike you got for now. Piece it together from junk on the side of the road if need be. Trash day is free shopping. As funds come available, you can then upgrade your batteries to serious fun levels. Lithium 48v, then 72v later with a new controller. That motor can run briefly at 3000w, (72v) which is the 40 mph club. No, its not going to smoke your tires, but you can learn to crash at speed. Laying it down at 40 mph is a skill you will need later, when you are riding that crotch rocket in your future.

Interesting idea that link to the scooter motor kit. But building that into a rideable bike will be hard, unless your dad has a good workshop. My dad, we had maybe a pair of pliers and a screwdriver in the house. My first job also bought my first tools. But that kit could be made to drive a belt to the rear wheel, if you have stuff like drills and wrenches around.

Thanks for all the replies :D, a 2000w brushless motor went on sale on ebay for only $180 delivered and with a controller so i bought that andit fits in my current mounting system fine :D. but the motor wont turn on at all xD

Back