Cast 1 piece hub motor + rim = awesome cooler ?

qwerkus

10 kW
Hello,

Just saw these on ali. I knew this type of design from scooters, but now they seem to make 26" and even 28" versions.

Casting the motor casing and the rim into a single piece of aluminium / magnesium seems to be a good idea to improve motor cooling, though it seems heavy (4kg +). Is the trade off worth it ?

36v-500w-Integrated-wheel-magnesium-alloy-brushless-hub-motor-electric-bicycle-kit-phub-96.jpg

Thank you for your time,

qwerkus

traditional bicycle wheel can have rim replaced, can be trued but..
it would be good idea when good quality alloy is used and China brands are not good at this at all - they want to recycle all pot metals, Chinese have been know for that.

We had some of those come thru a shop I worked at, and they would get flat spots in the unsupported sections between the spokes after a few hard hits.

Well, fwiw, spokes are still a heat sink too. The key to motor cooling is to stop flogging them. Most bike motors will handle a 300 pound total load easy. Above that, you need a moped power motor. Or dual motor so you now have a 600 pound limit. quite simple really. Hot motor? it needs more copper and bigger magnets. Or, lower gearing. Like a mid drive or tiny diameter for a hub motor.

I think there's an untapped market for the 20-inch all-in-one Magic Pies (and similar cast motor/wheels), when mounted on a BMX for a teen, or the rear wheel of a cargobike (ODK-II, Edgerunner, Madsen).

I am not personally interested in trying it out, but if someone gave me one for free, I'd mount it on a suspension frame and add the fattest tire I could fit on it. I would do this to reduce the incidence of dinging a rim on an unexpected pothole or curb-strike (the curb hit would be from bailing out onto the sidewalk when a car tries to kill me).

spinningmagnets said:
...I would do this to reduce the incidence of dinging a rim on an unexpected pothole or curb-strike (the curb hit would be from bailing out onto the sidewalk when a car tries to kill me).

Even with the best wheel and tire, you don’t want to hit square. A curb is a wheel’s nightmare. Got to learn to bunny hop your bike. Good riders are not hard on wheels. :wink:

[youtube]FBTK0UwwQ4I[/youtube]

well there is the moto rim vs beefy bicycle rim

moto tires are beefier and heavier
moto rims heavier

moto rims - Holmeshobby has 17 x 1.60
I bought a 16 x 1.60 from the classifieds, which uses 12G

https://www.electricbike.com/moped-rims-tires-hubmotors/

markz said:
well there is the moto rim vs beefy bicycle rim

moto tires are beefier and heavier
moto rims heavier

moto rims - Holmeshobby has 17 x 1.60
I bought a 16 x 1.60 from the classifieds, which uses 12G

https://www.electricbike.com/moped-rims-tires-hubmotors/

I would not ride motorcycle wheels. Too much weight, even the lightest of them. But I am willing to accept a heavier bicycle tire casing. 2kg weight penalty is acceptable, if the tires are good for a season. Right now, I am wearing a lot of them.

Back