Throttle without PAS BBS02

unclejemima

100 W
I’ve got a BBS02 that I’m trying to get working like it used to. It’s got a new controller and I can’t seem to get the throttle to work without PAS

Here is a photo of my 3 setup screens. Keep in mind I’m a noob with this and it’s been my first time editing the controller, what I’ve resorted to only in attempt to get the throttle to work without PAS

My display says only 5 levels of PAS, where I’ve the read of the controller shows it’s set to 9.

Am I missing something obvious in how I’m doing this?

I tried to set the PAS1 power to 0, in attempt to trick it to allowing me to use throttle with no PAS, but that did not work either.

Help! :)

Attachments

• 05801C96-1EDD-4A3E-9313-47B64A96924B.png
    05801C96-1EDD-4A3E-9313-47B64A96924B.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,987
  • 38ADF9CC-0925-4CF8-B992-DA59BC38E341.jpeg
    38ADF9CC-0925-4CF8-B992-DA59BC38E341.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,987
  • 37067304-4206-4815-BB1B-0163E50FAB23.jpeg
    37067304-4206-4815-BB1B-0163E50FAB23.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 1,987
  • 59F67F54-435B-49BF-A406-68E36D3DAE0A.jpeg
    59F67F54-435B-49BF-A406-68E36D3DAE0A.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,987
  • 89137F6E-DEF7-4DFE-A01C-5A813300AE9E.jpeg
    89137F6E-DEF7-4DFE-A01C-5A813300AE9E.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,987
And sorry about the crappy image quality. Was balancing the laptop in one hand , camera in the other as the short cable to connect to the controller was not being my friend lol.

At least you have five level of assist. Lol. I just finished installing a 2017 bbs02 the display show three level of assist, throttle does not work on assist zero.
Anyway, you should read member Fechter's thread on DIY Fix for bbs02/bbshd Throttle Issue. He built a circuit to fixed the throttle issue. I have to do the same to fix mine.

This seems a little different than my issue...

My throttle works fine in PAS, just I’m not able to rig a pas where with zero assist so I can have a throttle only mode

What I don’t get is why the changes made while connected to controller ST app, don’t really apply. How is that possible and what’s the point?

The controller st app seems logical. It retrieves values when I click read, and retains them when I click write...so why is bike controller not fully responding to all the changes when connect back to its bafang display??

I think your question is not addressed by the last two answers, which concerns throttle killing active PAS. You want throttle to be active when PAS assist is zero.

From Karl Gessleins oft consulted blog, I believe you change the level for assist level 1. Your pics show it at 0.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/

page1.jpg

The disclaimer being that I've never wanted to program my BBS, so have neither the hardware or desire. My BBS02 came with throttle always active.

docw009 said:
From Karl Gessleins oft consulted blog, I believe you change the level for assist level 1. Your pics show it at 0.
I set Assist for level 1 to zero, in that if I went to PAS1, it would not give any PAS but let me freely use the throttle. At least in logic this is what I thought it would do.

What I don't get is in PAS1 on the screen, because it only goes to 5, yet in the Controller ST its set PAS1 to zero power so it should not be doing any PAS in PAS1.

docw009 said:
The disclaimer being that I've never wanted to program my BBS, so have neither the hardware or desire. My BBS02 came with throttle always active.

So did mine until I needed a new controller. I want nothing to do with the programming either trust me lol

Wow Uncle J, the first thing I noticed is the firmware version is V5.1.4.2. Both my controller from 2016 that works properly and my controller from 2017 that did not work properly show firmware version V2.0.1.1. At least Bafang woke up and applied a different firmware version on their newest "faulty" controller!

As far as the PAS levels, there are always PAS levels 0 through 9 set in the controller. The various displays available may be set up for fewer distinct PAS levels, and some don't call PAS level 0 a PAS level at all, but just the lack of a PAS level, which you still get to on the display when you hit the "-" button while in PAS 1. If your display is set up for fewer PAS levels only certain PAS levels from the controller are used, and it isn't necessarily logical which ones. I was working with a friend recently that had a display unit that only allowed 5 PAS levels, plus a no PAS level which was really PAS level 0. So if I remember right we determined the display PAS levels being used from the controller mapped like this:

No PAS Level uses PAS 0 from the controller;
PAS 1 uses PAS 2 from the controller;
PAS 2 uses PAS 4 from the controller;
PAS 3 uses PAS 6 from the controller;
PAS 4 uses PAS 8 from the controller, and;
PAS 5 uses PAS 9 from the controller.

As far as the other issues you asked about, I have no idea what Bafang has done. The older (BBS02A) controllers required a 0 in the current % for the throttle to work properly while pedaling in PAS 0. The newer (BBS02A) controllers required a 1 in the current % for the throttle to work properly while pedaling in PAS 0, at least before 2017 when they started mucking everything up.

Rassy said:
No PAS Level uses PAS 0 from the controller;
PAS 1 uses PAS 2 from the controller;
PAS 2 uses PAS 4 from the controller;
PAS 3 uses PAS 6 from the controller;
PAS 4 uses PAS 8 from the controller, and;
PAS 5 uses PAS 9 from the controller.

This is golden and what I was looking for :). I’ll test it tonight.

Thanks!!

Interesting the firmware jumped from v2.xx to 5.xx so quick! I’m hoping I can get mine to work like my old one (pre-2016)

Interesting the firmware jumped from v2.xx to 5.xx so quick!
Yeah, interesting and strange. Means the work we have just done to make the 2017 controllers work like the earlier models probably has no meaning in regards to the newest controllers.

I'm curious as to what date your controller was manufactured. You probably know it is the first part of the date/serial number which is on the right side of the unit, at the top and just left of the chain ring and final drive. The format is YYMMDDSSSSSSSS.

Thanks,

Back