My old Currie

wbr

10 µW
Dug my old bike out of a pile of stuff in the shed.
Someday I gotta get this working again just for the hell of it.
Gotta be at least 15 years old or so, put a lot of miles on it at the time.

377665186_faa3b29d01_o.jpg

Stock
A little motor with a chain drive.
Rode it to work ( 26 miles round trip) pretty regular for a couple years.
I'm on the Eastern Shore of MD.
Flat area, I think the altitude difference from my house to West O.C. where I work is like 28'. From 7' above sea level to 35' asl
Paid $350 for it some time around 2001.

That's a kit, right? Not an original bike? Big awkward thing. Mine I think is 8-9 years old and still big and awkward, but an improvement over yours. Is yours a whole 450w or were they less at the time?

I wish I would have gotten into ebikes in 2001
I was seriously thinking about a gas bicycle back in 2001 but never went ahead with it.

That's now a classic. Should belong to the museum :D

Would love to see it running again. How did you setup the the freewheel and cassette on the same hub?

A blast from the past :D Pretty much one of the first factory built ebikes. A piece of history suitable for the ES museum.

If you recycle the old lead-acid batteries and replace them with some modern Li-ion cells, you could get about 3x the original range. For sure keep the battery housing.

That one looks like it was set up for dual motors but only has one installed.

Dauntless said:
That's a kit, right? Not an original bike? Big awkward thing. Mine I think is 8-9 years old and still big and awkward, but an improvement over yours. Is yours a whole 450w or were they less at the time?

Original bike. I believe the motor on these is 400w but don't quote me on that.
The battery pack is 2 12v 12ah batteries so 288w.
I remember I was going to upgrade to a longer distance battery they offered but I never did.Pretty sure that was 360w, 2 12v 15ah batteries.

sonnetg said:
That's now a classic. Should belong to the museum :D

Would love to see it running again. How did you setup the the freewheel and cassette on the same hub?
I didn't setup anything,The bike came like this.
On the backside of that plate is a clutch/freewheel ?
The thing has a round hollow disc that has notches in it that align with the spokes and fits over them,then a plate gets bolted on to the inside locking in the spokes.
I'll try to take some pics of the set up this weekend.

fechter said:
That one looks like it was set up for dual motors but only has one installed.

I don't know.
This has two chains.
Above the motor on the inside is a sprocket that is driven by a chain to the motor.
Then a disc Clutch/freewheel? then another sprocket that has a chain that drives the wheel.

Yeah, this is the old Currie USPD ProDrive bike; they came built the way you see this one is, except the motor on this one looks different--it looks like it is either skinnier or sticks out more from the frame than the ones I recall (Kollmorgen?).

A google image search of this type of bike
https://www.google.com/search?q=Currie+USPD+ProDrive+bike&num=100&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV2fqEq5DbAhUJZawKHRs-ApMQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=747&bih=798

wbr said:
I didn't setup anything,The bike came like this.
On the backside of that plate is a clutch/freewheel ?
The thing has a round hollow disc that has notches in it that align with the spokes and fits over them,then a plate gets bolted on to the inside locking in the spokes.
I'll try to take some pics of the set up this weekend.

Wow...Thanks to your google link. I got an idea how it may work, but seems rather perplexing. Seems to have a clutch or a bigger freewheel type. I am not familiar with this at all, but its good to know..

Attachments

• adapter1.jpg
    adapter1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 910
  • adapter2.jpg
    adapter2.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 910
  • adapter3.jpg
    adapter3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 910
Back