Ebike Conversion - which motor

trex-bike

1 µW
I've had a of Soma DC Doublecross Disc bike for about 6 years. Its a great but I need a little help on the hills these days.

Im trying to decide between a Bafang BBS02 and a BBSHD motor and would appreciate any advice on this.

For my commuting I ride 14 miles RT and I probably have around 300-400 ft of elevation gain with a grade of maybe 3-4%. I'm 61 years old and weigh 195 pounds.

I am thinking the the BBSHD might be better a) at stop and go initial acceleration b) keeping up with downtown traffic at 25mph and c) more robust. But my concerns are a) is that it might be too much of a good thing and b) it is heavier c) extra torque would somehow be damaging to my bike. My bike frame is made with Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo steel.

Thats pretty much it and I appreciate your help.

I want a mid-drive as well, ... However I will be going up much steeper grades and want to to higher altitude gains,

For the ride you are describing even a small simple hub motor will work just fine . ... https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93180
There are other hub motors sold by many vendors, for your ride any rear hub motor that is between 6-10 pounds will work just fine.
For instance my Mac motor that is a fast wind ( 6t ) does your kind of ride well. it weighs 9.5 pounds, the cassette version weighs a small amount more but a cassette weighs less than a freewheel so it evens out.
But for even lighter weight a motor that is in the Q128 weight range will work for you. 750 watts is all you need for that ride. the Experts in DIY e-bikes say that 80 % of people are better off with a hub motor.

But if you are stuck on getting a Befang mid drive, the BBS02 is all and even more than you need for the ride you describe .

trex-bike said:
I've had a of Soma DC Doublecross Disc bike for about 6 years. Its a great but I need a little help on the hills these days.

Im trying to decide between a Bafang BBS02 and a BBSHD motor and would appreciate any advice on this.

For my commuting I ride 14 miles RT and I probably have around 300-400 ft of elevation gain with a grade of maybe 3-4%. I'm 61 years old and weigh 195 pounds.

I am thinking the the BBSHD might be better a) at stop and go initial acceleration b) keeping up with downtown traffic at 25mph and c) more robust. But my concerns are a) is that it might be too much of a good thing and b) it is heavier c) extra torque would somehow be damaging to my bike. My bike frame is made with Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo steel.

You might also consider the tsdz2 750w mid drive. It is a little cheaper and a little lighter than the bafang (and less power than bbs02) but it has a torque sensor and not just a move the pedals sensor.

trex-bike said:

For your stated use the bbs02 will be fine and plenty of power with a good battery. The key to less wear on the machinery is to use your gears effectivly and smoothly. Always start off in lower gears to reduce stress.

Thanks for all of your helpful advice. I'll look into the hub motor a bit. There is a guy in Portland that does conversions. He let me try his bike and he had the tsdz2 750w mid drive but I found it a little too low in power for me.

Back