Any suggestions for reliable battery supplier?

Timelord

10 W
Interested in a 18650 battery pack, 52v, at least 12AH but not too much more. Looking for something not outrageously priced, under $700. I'll be carrying the pack in a seat bag, so don't need a dolphin case. I rather like how small and light Luna's Mighty Mini Cube is. They used to have a 14AH version at 8 pounds that was more compact than their Wolf pack, but looks like they can't get any more from their supplier. About the only advice I see here on ES is "don't buy from Alibaba." No specific suggestions for recommended sellers. Regardless of seller, I'm going to charge only in the oven for the sake of safety.

I'd even be willing to pay a little more for a 21700 pack, but haven't seen anyone selling aftermarket packs using those cells yet.

You dont' say how much current continuous and peak you need the pack to supply--that's very important to know, or you may end up with a pack that sags in voltage so much under load that it cuts out or shuts down, or simply doesn't supply enough voltage at the current needed to give you the power you want.

Well, I'm not picky. This won't be for a very high power kit. Just looking for a supplier so I can peruse the selection on their website. I've seen people say not to use Alibaba/Aliexpress and for some reason, there seems to be a lot of hate for Luna around here, so I'm looking for other options.

Timelord said:
Well, I'm not picky. This won't be for a very high power kit. Just looking for a supplier so I can peruse the selection on their website. I've seen people say not to use Alibaba/Aliexpress and for some reason, there seems to be a lot of hate for Luna around here, so I'm looking for other options.

It isn't a matter of being picky. It is a matter of matching the battery to your particular intended uses.

Again, I'm flexible for now. I'm not asking for you guys to choose a specific battery for me, but a supplier that can be trusted. Maybe I'll choose more capacity. Maybe I'll go with higher rate. I can make those decisions later. For now, I just want to know what dealers to look at. Surely somebody must be trustworthy.

So far and from what I know, I would 100% trust the 2 following stores:
www.ebikes.ca

https://em3ev.com/

Good luck :)

There's a lot of hate for Luna from individuals who have never purchased from them. I've received two excellent batteries (one in its third year of powering a 48V, 1000w system as well as a BBS02), two BBS02's and other incidental products from them, and have been satisfied with every transaction.

2old said:
There's a lot of hate for Luna from individuals who have never purchased from them. I've received two excellent batteries (one in its third year of powering a 48V, 1000w system as well as a BBS02), two BBS02's and other incidental products from them, and have been satisfied with every transaction.

I’ve also purchased and been happy with my several Luna interactions.

Also em3ev and grin,

I literally right now just read a $10k purchaser not happy with Luna. But I am neither here nor there with Luna.

OSN Power

another supplier which is escaping me at the moment, keep thinking I should have a word document for easy copy/pastes.

2old said:
There's a lot of hate for Luna from individuals who have never purchased from them.

They do very well at filling basic orders and supplies.

They do very poorly with filling complex orders.

The latter is where the dissent is coming from.

Thanks. Now Luna is back in consideration. And of course, just when I wrote that they no longer seem to have the 14AH pack, they're back in stock. It may or may not actually meet the claimed 50A spec, but since I'm only considering a ~750w kit, even if it's off by 50%, it should be plenty.

AF7JA said:
Just another "I purchased from Luna and had not issues." I will probably be ordering from them again later this year.

Just another ‘I ran a red light, and I’ve had no problem. I will probably be doing it again’.
:twisted:

MadRhino said:
AF7JA said:
Just another "I purchased from Luna and had not issues." I will probably be ordering from them again later this year.

Just another ‘I ran a red light, and I’ve had no problem. I will probably be doing it again’.
:twisted:

Except that I ran that particular red light all the way from Kansas to Utah without plugging in once. I am preparing to go the other way soon, but not this year.

As far as support, once I described what I was going to do, the advice I got was good.

Back