Show your drinking and eating setup

cwah

100 MW
Hello

I realised that often I wanted a drink while cycling. Or maybe eat a little something.

For very little weight added, I can now drink and drive:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h073lh1xr1dr6hv/IMG_20180615_161848.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tdwd76r9j0dc6s/IMG_20180615_161828.jpg?dl=0

What does you food set up looks like?

On two wheels, doing anything else than riding will get you more than your share of broken bones.

MadRhino said:
On two wheels, doing anything else than riding will get you more than your share of broken bones.

Yeah - so for commuting I replaced my regular bike water bottle with this. The key is the screw on cap. It removes the temptation. I can have a drink if I'm stopped and have both hands free. :)

WaterBottle.jpg

Yeah, drinking while rolling is how I broke both collarbones. I carry a capped Gatorade bottle in my bottle cage now. And stop to get a sip.

Maybe a handlebar mounted bottle with a long plastic tube so you never need to take your hands off the grips and you can take a sip without looking away from the road?

John and Cecil said:
Maybe a handlebar mounted bottle with a long plastic tube so you never need to take your hands off the grips and you can take a sip without looking away from the road?

There are enough stop signs and stop lights around so that I have no problem with the current setup. I'm not in a race. No big need to eat or drink while on the bike. And with our 90 degree mornings and evenings and 100+ degree days, I slam down about 12 ounces of cold water before heading out anyway. That slows down the onset of thirst pretty well.

P.S. Long before Camelbacks and the like, back in the mid 70's I rigged up a tube system on my Sears Free Spirit ten speed ( a BSO that somehow and amazingly was super useful as an actual bike - whodda thunk?!?) so that I could drink while riding - from a "straw" (pvc tubing) on the handlebars that went to one of my water bottles. It worked OK.

We have 2 cooler saddle bags for 100 degree days. We load them up with ice water and both Cecil and I have evaporative cooling vests which we soak every 30-45 mins in the ice water. They worked really well on the motorcycle by drawing the heat out of you so I expect them to work well on the ebike too. Before I got one for Cecil he would squirm whenever we stopped at a red light, after he started wearing his cooling vest he never squirmed in his box again when riding out in the hot sun. It worked so well for him that I got one for myself. I have to build him a little convertible bimini top this year too.

John and Cecil said:
We have 2 cooler saddle bags for 100 degree days. We load them up with ice water and both Cecil and I have evaporative cooling vests which we soak every 30-45 mins in the ice water. They worked really well on the motorcycle by drawing the heat out of you so I expect them to work well on the ebike too. Before I got one for Cecil he would squirm whenever we stopped at a red light, after he started wearing his cooling vest he never squirmed in his box again when riding out in the hot sun. It worked so well for him that I got one for myself. I have to build him a little convertible bimini top this year too.

Wow. Do you have a picture of your setup with cooler bags?

Many years ago, the military gave me a nice desert tan Camelbak. Worked great all through Iraq, and still use it to this day. Carries my water and has some extra storage room. Seem to have fallen out of favor these days. I used to see them on mountain bike trails all the time.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R01030--Cloud_Walker_18?color=04cd008c5c0f4931a8c4e26966e8bb48

1107301000.ashx

cwah said:
Wow. Do you have a picture of your setup with cooler bags?

They are ScootR Logic saddlebags which are fairly inexpensive and lightweight insulated cooler bags. I have them mounted on Cecil's hardwood custom carrier, however they could probably be mounted as small pannier bags on the side of the rack as well. I believe the pair is rated to hold a 24 pack of 12 oz cans. They are nice for carrying gear too because since they are cooler bags they are also waterproof.

DSCN3418.JPGDSCN3419.JPG

I want a battery powered refridgeration "pannier" so I can take it with me fishing.
Thermo-Electric Cooler the type used off of a 12V car system.
https://www.amazon.ca/Revesun-Thermoelectric-Refrigeration-Obvious-Perfect/dp/B01LVUC7FL?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc12-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01LVUC7FL

I wonder though, how many Ah's it would eat up.

Years back, I had a peltier-type fridge with about a cubic foot and a half space inside, and IIRC it took 2 or 3 amps or more while running off it's 12v power supply; it ran a lot more than not, to keep stuff just about 60F inside, in a 90F+ environment. Adding a 5"+ computer case fan to cool teh peltier heatsink helped, letting the temperature get down another 10 degrees to around 50F, but power usage was a bit higher due to the fan, and it didn't change the duty cycle.

Might be some better stuff out there these days. More / thicker / better insulation would help; this thing was plastic with about 1" of styrofoam inside its' walls and door.

amberwolf said:
Years back, I had a peltier-type fridge with about a cubic foot and a half space inside, and IIRC it took 2 or 3 amps or more while running off it's 12v power supply; it ran a lot more than not, to keep stuff just about 60F inside, in a 90F+ environment. Adding a 5"+ computer case fan to cool teh peltier heatsink helped, letting the temperature get down another 10 degrees to around 50F, but power usage was a bit higher due to the fan, and it didn't change the duty cycle.

Might be some better stuff out there these days. More / thicker / better insulation would help; this thing was plastic with about 1" of styrofoam inside its' walls and door.
A quick survey of two similar small coollers shows a 4-5 amp draw or about 50 watts. That seems tolerable for a short trip, but then on a short trip, it isn't needed as much. On a long trip (more than two hours for instance), that kind of power draw seems a bit much. Though you could almost make up for it with a 2ft x 2ft 50 watt solar panel.

AFAIK, a "50 watt" panel will only get you 50w max at the best perfect illumination conditions at noon on the equator. ;)

If you need actual 50w at the load, you need to figure the efficiency hit between the panel and the load in whatever conversion electronics there are, and in the panel itself under teh conditions it'll actually be being used in, including the lighting and temperature. You might need at least 2-3 times as much panel as you think.

Then it only works in good direct sunlight, so it doesn't power anything if you are on your way home in evening/dark, and the cooler warms up after that point.

amberwolf said:
AFAIK, a "50 watt" panel will only get you 50w max at the best perfect illumination conditions at noon on the equator. ;)

If you need actual 50w at the load, you need to figure the efficiency hit between the panel and the load in whatever conversion electronics there are, and in the panel itself under teh conditions it'll actually be being used in, including the lighting and temperature. You might need at least 2-3 times as much panel as you think.

Then it only works in good direct sunlight, so it doesn't power anything if you are on your way home in evening/dark, and the cooler warms up after that point.

Yeah. I knew that "almost 50 watts" was probably optimistic, but I didn't realize it was that optimistic. A little digging and I'm inclined to agree that with a moving system you'd be doing well to get half the rated output on average.

In the evening we switch to pure battery and keep our samiches and sodie pops cool. Priorities. ;^)

I had a 12v plug in cooler once and it did not work very well. I tried a peltier cooler for a computer chip once and it consumed a lot of power and it also gave off a lot of extra heat in the process too. I don't recall how much power my cooler used but I preferred to carry small blocks of ice (cubes do not last as long).

What I have found that works best for day trips is to freeze the beverages that you plan on drinking on your trip and then put them in an insulated cooler or cooler bag to keep your food cold too. If the cooler is going to be in the sun put something reflective over it to keep the sun from heating it up. This is a very lightweight setup with very little added extra weight since you are using your drinks as the ice. If you freeze your drinks just right they can be ready to drink at different times during the day.

My 3 year old 29r is doing well, I average about 1500 miles a year, try to get in 8 to 10 miles per ride. My coffee holder works very well and the cup seals enough for beach rides or the road, I have a small day head and tail light, I don't ride at night. My trunk is small and slides off easy for shopping. Made out of a collapsible cooler.
Thank you, Keith

Attachments

• June 18 18b.jpg
    June 18 18b.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,312
  • cJune 18 18c.jpg
    cJune 18 18c.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,312
If I were doing extended trips, I'd pack ice cubes into wide mouth stainless vacuum bottles. I'd look into adapting water bottle cages to hold that kind of bottle or something similar. I've done the frozen bottle thing and it is only marginally effective (a few hours) in Phoenix summer heat. I'd expect eight hours or more from the vacuum bottles. The negative would be that the bottles won't hold as much for a given size.

FWIW, I have a 64oz "swig savvy" (also sold under other names I forget) SS vacuum bottle that using 10 regular ice-tray icecubes out of the deepfreezer, will still have ice in it (and very cold water or whatever liquid) in it 10-12 hours later, when it's in my SB Cruiser's wooden seatbox cargo area, or CrazyBike2's metal cargoboxes (all of which have 1" of styrofoam insulation inside), even when parked/ridden in the direct sun here in Phoenix.

If it's left in the sun itself, the bottle will still have cold (but not ice-cold) drink, though no ice, in that same amount of time. Unfortunately it only comes in "basic black" for the bottle and it's outer carrying/gripping jacket and plastic lid; I suspect if it were a different color it would stay cold in direct sun somewhat longer.

It also keeps hot things hot, though not as long as it keeps cold things cold. Not sure why. (maybe our perceptions of what is cold and what is hot have different ranges?)

amberwolf said:
It also keeps hot things hot, though not as long as it keeps cold things cold. Not sure why. (maybe our perceptions of what is cold and what is hot have different ranges?)

I'm guessing its the whole change of state thing. It take a lot of heat to change water from ice to liquid. The heat goes there first and only after the ice is liquefied does the now liquid water actually begin to warm past 32 deg F. Hot liquids don't have that change of state factor working in their favor. They start liquid and end up liquid. The best they can do is take advantage of a wider temperature differential. For instance if you start with super-hot 185 deg F liquid, it can cool 65 degrees and still seem moderately hot. But if you start with cold water, no ice at just above freezing. - 32 deg F - when it warms just 40 degrees, then it is no longer "cold."

But these stainless steel vacuum bottles are great for keeping beverages cold in Phoenix. I love 'em.

OK so maybe a well insulated lunch cooler along with those blue freezer things, plus a refridgeration unit attached.

Much cheaper.
DC 12V Thermoelectric Peltier Cooler
https://www.amazon.ca/Thermoelectric-Refrigeration-Conduction-Semiconductor-Conditioner/dp/B079QWMCW3?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc12-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B079QWMCW3

Back