proposed 25% tariff on ebikes

trooper5707

100 mW
Sad to see this, they are theorizing it will be passed on three fold to consumers, so a $1000 bike will get a $250 tariff and sold at $750 :(

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2018/06/19/us-proposes-25-tariff-china-made-e-bikes#.WypJzKdKhPZ

EU already has "anty dumping duty" on regular bicycles from China which was started in 1993 , duty of 48.5% !!!
Well , considering how long would Wallmart- type China-brand bicycle last ,
Europe has only that much room at the garbage sites.
they are rightfully fed up with disposable China goods.

Pedego and their cohorts may be just large enough to have "just enough" political clout to get an exemption for electric bikes. The main point they might argue is that there is no US domestic production of ebikes, therefore...an embargo doesn't 'help' US-based ebike production or jobs.

Years ago, I mentioned a trade war with China as one of my concerns. It appears we may see what that actually looks like...

Probably won't be much room for any other brands with all the BionX bikes flooding the dumps.

Bionx would be a small, very small percentage of dumped ebikes.
those sold by big names /Leowe, Wallmart, etc./ are filling dumpsters.

spinningmagnets said:
Years ago, I mentioned a trade war with China as one of my concerns. It appears we may see what that actually looks like...

If history repeats, and it probably will, it will be generally bad. A small number will benefit and a large number will suffer.

Hopefully this is a negotiating gambit and not something that will get implemented for any significant length of time.

Just have to wait Trumps term out a bit longer (1.5yrs) until Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
What about ebike components from China, hope thats not the same bs.

markz said:
Just have to wait Trumps term out a bit longer (1.5yrs) until Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
What about ebike components from China, hope thats not the same bs.

Maybe. There's a lot of anti-China, anti-free trade sentiment out in the world. The sentiment is hardly unique to Trump.

Well, actually, longer than that till the next one inaugurates. But lets hope some who voted Trump come to their senses next time.

Maybe this belongs in the cesspool, but I'm just extra disgusted with the man this week. American gulag.

markz said:

Will you be time traveling for the other year? Can I go with?

wturber said:
Hopefully this is a negotiating gambit and not something that will get implemented for any significant length of time.
I think that might be giving our current leadership too much credit.

"Nobody knew that foreign trade policies could be so complicated."

I like it. Hopefully this goes thru and keeps fast ebikes off people's radar for another few years.

Really tho whoever thinks this stuff is a good idea though needs to take some economics classes at the local night school. A first year student could elaborate in detail on why protectionist tariffs are a bad idea.

billvon said:
wturber said:
I think that might be giving our current leadership too much credit.

"Nobody knew that foreign trade policies could be so complicated."

I have no expectation. I never do for presidents. I give very little credit or credibility to any national level politician.

flat tire said:
Really tho whoever thinks this stuff is a good idea though needs to take some economics classes at the local night school. A first year student could elaborate in detail on why protectionist tariffs are a bad idea.

Yep. But the discipline here, unfortunately, is politics - not economics.

2old said:
Probably won't be much room for any other brands with all the BionX bikes flooding the dumps.

Same here, I live in the Countryside and i already saw like 3 Bionx bikes in the dump. There even is a guy that sells the empty battery case with a new universal mounting rail. He also has 20+ broken motors for sale on ebay.

Hi everyone! For those who don't me, I just started a new brand of e-bikes, Acey DC E-Bikes and I need your help.

Would you please take 2 minutes to follow a link to People for Bikes, enter your name and submit the form to the USTR to object to the e-bike tariff? The objection is already filled in, written by PFB, but you can edit it. The link: https://peopleforbikes.org/say-no-bike-tariffs/

E-bike retail prices will go up $600-$1000. Our premium e-bikes will cost us an additional $250-$300 each. Each.

The next round is $200 billion at 10% and includes tires, tubes, even brake cable housing. Your LBS needs your help too.

Thanks. Ride on!

Back