Just getting started needed some advice

SLYSEAN717

1 µW
Hello all long time reader first time poster.
In short my first question is about my battery and that is I am using 2× 56v 5ah ego batteries inside of one they have 14s2p 18650 Samsung 25 r with stay cool technology. If running the two of them together so 56 cell total 14s2p in parallel with 14s2p. Would my watt hour be 1120wh or still just 560wh and what controller would I need to get, for a controller that doesn't limit top speed. I would have to double check but I am pretty sure my motor is 1000watt hud drive motor from an older ecoped pulse, fashioned nicely into the hub of a 26" mountain bike rim. So yes what type of controller for not limiting speed and am I going to need two more batteries to run that size motor. I have already got the batteries the real question on my mind is that Darn controller. Thank you for all the information in the past and I will be sure to keep you guys updated on my build. The frame being an older mongoose boot'r to boot.

A 14s pack would be 51.8V nominal (referred to as 52v normally). Fully charged (4.2v per cell) they are 58.8v. If you only charge to 56v (4v/cell) the pack will last a lifetime probably but it will have a reduced capacity/less range. I would be charging it to at least 57.4v (4.1v/cell).

If you run your two packs in parallel you will effectively have a 10Ah pack. The most energy you can expect to store in the packs is 588Wh.
Each of the packs separately is about 294Wh. The only reason you would need more batteries is for more range. Those packs can easily power that motor.

You need a 48v controller, These are generally rated for up to 60V. If the packs are built with genuine 25r cells then each pack can handle 40A, with them in parallel max current could be 80A (this would equate to a max 4KW motor). If you're going to run the packs in parallel then I would go for around a 40A controller. This will pull around 2KW peak through the motor. If you want it to be long lasting/reliable, maybe get a 25-30A controller.

Which one to get depends mostly on budget I would say. There a heaps on cheaper ones on ebay.

Back