My ebike commute starts next week finally!

:D

That's right! I finally get the chance to commute to work via my ebike and unfortunately public transportation (dc metro). OK maybe that was a little dramatic because I'll have time to read and do whatever on the metro which will be nice..but yea.

The plan is to take my battery with me when I head into work. Battery weighs about 10lbs but it shouldn't be too bad with a backpack. My bike is almost finished and ready to ride. I've put a lot into the battery case and essentially I'll be able to drop my battery right in and go and pull it out when I pick it up. Should be super easy!

I've got a gopro mount for the bike also so I'm planning on doing some ride videos. Should be quite scenic going past the Capitol and all.

Hopefully dc roads treat me well. More concerned with the drivers since I have to ride in the street but I'm up for the challenge.

One thing I don't have is fenders for if it rains. Those are on their way and I'm working on waterproofing my box covering my controller and where I drop in my battery. I think once I square all those away the bike will be awesome. I decided to go without a power analyzer so I see the voltage and current during my ride because I didn't have a very good way to mount it to my handlebars. That may come in the future but I'll just enjoy it now.

Get a mirror and be safe those drivers can't be trusted.
I'm lucky to be down on the Eastern Shore, flat and plenty of quiet backroads that get me to work but I allways have a eye in the rearveiw mirror.

wbr said:
I'm lucky to be down on the Eastern Shore, flat and plenty of quiet backroads that get me to work but I allways have a eye in the rearveiw mirror.

I do have a mirror! However it seems either kind of dorky or im just not used to it. I don't really have the best way to mount it so I'm trying to think through that too... Im less inclined to ride in bike lanes than I am on the actual road since heck I've got an ebike that can accelerate and basically drive exactly the same as a car from 0-30mph around dc streets... With faux pedaling of course...lol. Full charged by bike has pretty good acceleration and can easily do 1500w. I've got such a short commute I have no problem smashing the throttle the entire way...

For a mirror, I highly recommend one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Bike-Peddler-Take-a-Look-Bike-Helmet-Eyeglass-Visor-Mirror-Full-Length-/331534929744

it clips to sunglasses or helmets with a visor etc...

I can't commute without mine. It takes a few rides to get used to it but its nice because you don't have to move your eyes far from the road.

Philaphlous said:
wbr said:

I do have a mirror! However it seems either kind of dorky or im just not used to it. I don't really have the best way to mount it so I'm trying to think through that too... Im less inclined to ride in bike lanes than I am on the actual road since heck I've got an ebike that can accelerate and basically drive exactly the same as a car from 0-30mph around dc streets... With faux pedaling of course...lol. Full charged by bike has pretty good acceleration and can easily do 1500w. I've got such a short commute I have no problem smashing the throttle the entire way...
Be careful mixing it up in the car lanes. In my experience drivers assume you are going to be in their way and when you keep up with the flow of traffic it doesn’t affect their preexisting decision to pass you, no matter how recklessly they have to drive to do so. I once had a truck pass me around a blind corner in the oncoming traffic lane at 50 MPH in a 25 zone. It was downhill so I was doing about 35, which was perfectly safe for me (not for him). His risk of being killed in a head-on collision was almost 50/50 by my estimation

Yea that's a good point. I guess I'm a little concerned about getting doored...which is the person in the vehicles fault... Some roads have dedicated bike lanes not where cars park so that will be totally fine.

Doored or hit by a car...hmm. Lol.

Just gotta remember..the yellow ones don't stop (elf)...

So here's my 2 cents after commuting on several different Ebikes over the last 5 years.

Started with a rusted out little garage sale 500w Schwinn Chopper, then moved that hubmotor/battery to a Schwinn Spoiler, to a different DIY 1000w PM motor Chopper (Phat Stretch Deluxe frame), to a stock A2B, to a heavily modded 72v 45a A2B, to my current 60mph capable EEB (stealth clone).

Get a light up front, a big ass one. Specifically, the biggest most obnoxiously bright headlight that your electrical system can handle. If needs be, buy a separate DC/DC completely dedicated for this light.

I honestly don't give 2 shits about anyone I already passed, just concerned with the 2 ton cages coming at me.

I find the biggest threats while commuting in traffic is the oncoming and intersecting traffic. With no light (or some tiny AAA battery operated LED) the majority assume you are just a bicycle and go no faster than 15 mph. This means turning out in front of you, merging too soon and in general simply not respecting that you have just as much right to the roads as they do.

I noticed the day installed a real deal 6" 55w H4 halogen DOT listed OEM headlight off a motorcycle was the day (most) people no longer assumed I was a slow speed bicycle and enough actually waited for me to pass before pulling out to notice and make this recommendation. Granted, most drivers don't pay attention to riders of any kind, hell they barely take eyes off their phones but if this light gets their attention frock (gotta luv this ES censoring) it. I'll take the chances of some misguided cop issuing me a ticket or harassing me about my bike's setup vs being a stain of the road.

With that light being bright AF even during the day, it's a fairly obvious signal that you aren't the typical bicyclist and it's almost as if they switch modes and curiously wait for you to pass so they can eyeball and judge you to determine exactly why this particular asshole needs a light so fuggin bright.

Meanwhile, I just passed them. Safely, while they had eyes on me the whole time. Hook, line and sinker bitch! I'll take some hater mean muggin the shit outta me, or some jaw dropped perplexed granny over the usual selfish morons that typically rule the roads.

Blind the frockity fook outta them, the whole I didn't see you is no longer a viable argument.

preview test: frock frock frock frock censorship of any kind yep... we live in a generation of F U C K I N G snowflakes I guess even the sphere needs a safe space LOL

100% agree on the big-ass headlight bit. I also went full-on motorcycle headlight (on high beam)- though mine is LED, not halogen. And during he day I augment that with a smaller (but still bright) flashing LED. I added that after I ran across one woman stopped at a stop sign who still managed to not notice me while I was stopped and waiting my turn. I was effectively invisible up to the point where she almost ran me over. At night I run the smaller light as an amber marker lamp. Flashing at night is too obnoxious IMO. All lights are aimed appropriately so as not to blind motorists.

Even so, I still ride with the assumption that I'm invisible until I have a clear indication/acknowlegment from the driver that I've been seen. Sometimes that means stopping just in case. So be it. I've got a motor to help me get moving again.

IMG_20171201_064724235_HDR_sm.jpg

Same darn thing happened to me yesterday. I was on my crazy fast kick scooter keeping up with traffic on a congested street. Maybe at 20 mph. This fool could have killed someone.

Every time he stopped at a light I was on his right looking in his vehicle. His neck is probably still sore from all the time he spent looking... well... just about anywhere but at me. :roll:

Regarding mirrors, my favorite screws into the handlebars. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009R96YK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely want a motorcycle headlight. When the days get short again I'll be leaving home before dawn.

arthurtuxedo said:
Philaphlous said:
wbr said:

Be careful mixing it up in the car lanes. In my experience drivers assume you are going to be in their way and when you keep up with the flow of traffic it doesn’t affect their preexisting decision to pass you, no matter how recklessly they have to drive to do so. I once had a truck pass me around a blind corner in the oncoming traffic lane at 50 MPH in a 25 zone. It was downhill so I was doing about 35, which was perfectly safe for me (not for him). His risk of being killed in a head-on collision was almost 50/50 by my estimation

Yea I'm not sure about the traffic and riding in normal road lanes. I need to get a light up taillight and for the headlamp I'm thinking my convoy c8 which is 1000l on my handlebars should be enough I'd think... I already have the flashlight, works wonders and I can change the brightness to maybe use as a drl during the day?

My main concern right now is finishing up my battery box that I'll literally just drop my battery in and go. I need to waterproof the area around the controller with the expandable foam filler. Once I get that I still need to wrap it in vinyl wrap since I literally have hdpe sheets of flexible cutting board making up my battery box. Ha. I'm moving this weekend so crunched for time but hopefully I should be set in time for my commute next week. Obviously this bike is going to be an evolution as I use it for commuting.

:x Hey guys!!

43247978682_9e7ddff84b_z_d.jpg

Commuting has been a breeze thus far! I've got a few things though that I need for my bike:
1. My generic V brakes are wearing out so fast! With city stop and go, they're getting pretty worn! I need new ones on the front right now and I'm wondering if there's a harder material V brake pad I can get?
2. Working on a power meter because currently I don't have one, can't tell voltage, amps, nothing!
3. Can I plasti dip my bike? Thinking of going all black...thoughts?

I'm recording my videos of my commute! So feel free to subscribe! Dc is a pretty fun place to bike but dang people don't fool around when they're on their way to work. https://youtu.be/M6UpGe20EXc

[youtube]https://youtu.be/M6UpGe20EXc[/youtube]

I tried that plasti-dip on my motorcycle a couple of times and I always hated it. It rubs off way too easily. I don't have a lot of painting skills either and I do not like to do a lot of prep work. The paint I REALLY like is the Rustoleum black bedliner spray. This stuff requires no prep work except to clean the surface thoroughly. It does have a light textured finish to it, but I like it and it covers up small imperfections too. It is best if you spray it on in light coats. It sticks like you would not believe, even to plastic, and without having to sand the surface first. It is very durable and easy to clean and is powerwasher friendly.

I have used the HF bedliner spray brand too, but that stuff has more texture. The Rustoleum has a very light texture and is more like paint than bedliner spray.

John and Cecil said:
I tried that plasti-dip on my motorcycle a couple of times and I always hated it. It rubs off way too easily. I don't have a lot of painting skills either and I do not like to do a lot of prep work. The paint I REALLY like is the Rustoleum black bedliner spray. This stuff requires no prep work except to clean the surface thoroughly. It does have a light textured finish to it, but I like it and it covers up small imperfections too. It is best if you spray it on in light coats. It sticks like you would not believe, even to plastic, and without having to sand the surface first. It is very durable and easy to clean and is powerwasher friendly.

I have used the HF bedliner spray brand too, but that stuff has more texture. The Rustoleum has a very light texture and is more like paint than bedliner spray.

Hm...thanks for the advice! I was thinking plastidip is the way to go...I don't care if it's permanent or not. I'll try that bed liner stuff. I'm thinking an all black front suspension fork is going to look awesome! Plus I can't wait to get rid of my duck taped battery box...lol at least cover it with some vinyl wrap instead of duck tape...

So I didn't realize that the front fork which has quick release skewers can shift from side to side depending how you tighten them...lol my tire is so off center the brake looks so weird. Lol. It doesn't rub the break but still...

Tires are getting pretty low...Definitely need to pump them up. So annoying riding on squishy tires. Feels like I'm riding dragging something behind me it's slowing me down...

Back