Help mapping and understanding controller i/o's

yotamkasam

1 µW
I purchased this controller on Ali Express and obviously it came with no documentation, I wonder if you guys can help me map and understand the functionality. I was able to connect the motor, sensors, throttle and power and the motor works but I am not sure about the open connectors.

Some of the information below is based on other controllers spec and some is guesswork and may be wrong.

1) Green, green: Probably self study.
What is it and how to use it?

2) Gray, white, black: ?

3) Black, blue: [Edit} Cruise control, tested.

4) Black, red, blue: maybe 1:1 sensor, if so, I have no need for speed feedback.

5) Red, black, white: Could be "Hall Electric Brake", at least according to similar controller, I am not sure if this is an input or an output and how to use it.

6) Black, yellow: Again, from similar controller, looks like "Large Speaker Power". What?

Cables 2 and 3 could be related to e-brake which I need to utilize but couldn't figure out how.

Thanks for your help!

If you don't have the documentation from the manufacturer, it would be guesswork on the wires.

Luckily, most of them don't need to be hooked up if you don't use that feature.

A hall electric brake is where you use a hall switch to activate the brake mode. 3 wires are ground, 5v and signal. A meter will tell you which one is 5v and ground. The signal wire is normally held high (5v) and gets pulled down when the brake is activated. You could also use a regular switch between signal and ground to activate the brake mode.

The other brake line may be a "high level" brake line, which is activated by the voltage going to a brake light. Could be up to pack voltage. You only need one or the other (or neither).

The ebrake mode kills the throttle and possibly engages regenerative braking on models that have it.

Other wires may be things like GPS or "anti-thief", which uses battery power to keep the motor from moving. This is only good for a direct drive hub motor. Personally, I would not hook it up as it looks like a good way to drain your battery when it's parked.

Thanks for the useful information Fechter, I will give it a try.

As for "self study", any idea what this is used for and how to use it?

I was assuming it gives the controller an opportunity to study the motor characteristics by analyzing returned currents and waveform so I connected it but it turns the motor endlessly and when reconnected it reverse the motor direction, nothing else.

Self Study is a learning mode where you connect the jumper and upon powerup the motor controller figures out how the motor phases and Hall wires are arranged. Success is if the motor spins. Then you disconnect and it's stored in memory, For fun, flip a pair of wire and see if it really works.

Back