ODB2 Controller, or Canbus based Speedo?

Sunder

10 MW
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about building a QS Motor 273 based motorcycle. This would have to be 100% road legal. Thankfully, there are very few engineering specifications that need to be observed under law, but one of them is that you need a speedo accurate to within 10%.

There are a few hall based speedos out there, but I was hoping to redo the entire dash cluster myself, so a controller that reports as much as possible, with the caveat that it MUST report the speed also, would be highly desirable.

Does anyone know of a controller that can:

Handle 144v nominal, 168v peak,
Handle 150A nominal, 200A peak,
Has either a ODB2 or CANBUS interface? If Canbus, I also need something to read the speed out of (I actually used to work on ODB2 when working on cars, but have no idea what is available in the CANBUS protocol, so I could be completely whacked here, and have some say - "You realise all Canbus does is tell you when a signal has failed, right?"...)

The front runner now is a Kelly based controller, but as far as I know, these need a full blown PC (or an Arduino based computer) to report most stuff in real time.

Appreciate any responses.

CANBUS can do whatever the devices on it are programmed to do; whether there are any that do what you want I don't know. :/

AFAIK, if you spin the motor while a Kelly is hooked up via it's data/program port, it'll brick it (there've certainly been enough reports about that).

You could simply use a mechanical speedometer, or even a magnetic pickup on your wheel. That is accurate. Alternatively, you could integrate a CA to your display.

Thanks Mad Rhino. Always thought the CA's external hall sensor based one was the only version available. Will be very tidy if I can just intercept the hall signals.

Will have to see if its legal if the display can be configured to NOT show the speed though. It might need to be a permanent display.

Back