Mystery Bafang Motor.

I made an account on alibaba just so I could ask about it. No response yet but they want to see my 'business card' and I don't know wtf I'm doing.

It is kinda cool though, huh. Just like in the drawings but nothing like anyone actually ever has.

Running the wires out a spacer between the axle and a much larger ID sidecover bearing has been suggested and worked out in discussions for years here on ES.

A few commercial motors here and there over the years have done this, but most don't, probably because the larger ID bearing is more expensive compared to just notching or boring out the axle.

It means a stronger axle, because it isn't weakened by a notch or a cutout or beign hollow.

It means not having wires pinched or worn thru by rotating parts of the motor (like some of the bigger motors that run the wires just outside the axle core, but not all the way outside the whole axle like this one appears to).

It's good to see motors that do it the way we've talked about, the way this new Bafang appears to do.

Probing a little deeper seems to reveal that this is quite likely one of the first incarnations of the BPM motor. Also it just occurred to me, having not too long ago "crossbroken" an earlier model REAR BPM, that it did indeed have a rather oversized stator carrier [EDIT: side cover] bearing, just as amberwolf describes would be required for this type of design to work.

Why or how anyone on alibaba has so many to sell I still don't understand, but just looking at the thing screams "mid mounted hub motor" to me.

Bafang did the SWXU and SWXK motors this way and its a nice system. Torque is reacted through the stator with a big tab sticking out instead of just through the axle flats. Other than the the nice cable setup the rest looks very like a BPM. I'd be interested in one if they are not too hard to get.

Back