new build noob

Ru14real

1 mW
New noob here, so be genital.

I am wanting to build a front wheel system, but I have a few questions here. I am look to buy this motor. Its the QS 205 35H V. I want to install it on the front forks, with a rack for the batteries above the wheel.

What kind of controller should I get with this motor? I really have no idea. A three speed system would be ok, I guess. 72V? What is the difference between brand names? What do you look for in a controller? I really have no idea here.

Batteries, How big should 4 or 5 brick be? Will they fit on the rack, mounted in the front? Do I really need 4 bricks, or could something smaller be better? Where would the bricks come from? Any links or recommendations?

Also I have heard that vibration is not good for the system. I guess its not good for any system, but the electronics in particular could be reduced, if possible. Would there be a difference in mounting the batteries, and controller in front or on the rear rack?

Ru14real said:
New noob here, so be genital.
I hope you mean "gentle". ;)

I am wanting to build a front wheel system, but I have a few questions here. I am look to buy this motor. Its the QS 205 35H V. I want to install it on the front forks, with a rack for the batteries above the wheel.
The more weight on the front end, especially that sits out over the wheel, the more it will affect steering, as it slows down the response time of you twisting the handlebars because of the extra inertia. The closer the weight is to the center of the pivot (line straight thru the steerer tube), the less of a problem that is. The further from that point, the worse the problem is.

With any front fork motor, I highly recommend a good torque arm on each side to secure the axle from rotating in the dropouts, which can break the dropouts and leave you laying on the ground some distance in front of the bike in a very bad mood.

There are a number of good threads for torque arms, with pictures, and ways to ensure they're mounted correctly. The full list of such threads is daunting
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=torque+arm*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
though the titles of the threads in the list can eliminate a number of them just by looking thru the title list, but this one
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26444
probably has the most info in a single thread with pics.

What kind of controller should I get with this motor? I really have no idea. A three speed system would be ok, I guess. 72V? What is the difference between brand names? What do you look for in a controller? I really have no idea here.
It all depends on what features you want, and how much power you need from the system. With a front motor you may be limited in how much power you can really use, depending on your riding conditions. There's some threads that discuss that part:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=front++rear+motor&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

There's not a lot of difference with most controllers between brand names, as the brand is just a label somebody stuck on a controller they bought from someone else. Even most of the companies that "make" motors don't actually make them, they just put their own labels on somebody else's.

The places that sell "kits" generally just take cheap parts from various places and stick them all in a box together, and they may not even directly plug into each other without you figuring out all the wiring on your own, as the "manual" they might or might not bother to include will probably not even match the wire colors or connectors (or even amount of wires) on the various parts of the kit.

The easiest way to do it is to buy the controller, throttle, display, etc., from the same place as the motor, and make sure that what they are going to send you already has matching connectors that are already correctly wired to just plug in and go.

If you don't, or if they lie and just send whatever, then it'll be up to you to figure out all the wiring. There's at least hundreds, if not thousands, of threads around here where people try to figure that out for their stuff--often they're successful; sometimes they give up. (becuase you can't know if it's not working because the wires are wrong, or becuase something came to you defective out of the box).

If you want to just go find a separate controller, I'd recommend a place with good support to help you figure out the wiring, like http://ebikes.ca.

The stuff on ebay and the like is unlikely to have any useful support, and the "manual" they have probably doesn't even match the item you'll receive.

Since that motor is (according to a quick google of the model you give) about a 1000w brushless motor, then a 48v 20A brushless controller would run it about in it's stated power range. I'd recommend a sensored (not sensorless) controller for better startup performance, but one that can do either sensored or sensorless is nice for the possible eventual hall sensor / wiring failure eventuality (cuz it'll be able to still work without fixing the sensor).

If you want to run 72v for much higher speed, you'd want a 72v 10A controller to stay around the 1000w mark for the motor's spec.

You can use higher power with most motors, but the heat generated is greater, and the higher you go the more heat there is, and at some point it can be more than the motor can handle. There are threads about heating and cooling of hubmotors that detail how to deal with that to safely use a smaller motor at power levels it's not designed for, if you really want to do the work.

Batteries, How big should 4 or 5 brick be?
What brick? If you're talking about RC LiPo, there's many configurations so "brick" is not a useful term. You'd have to specify which brand, their supposed/advertised C-rate, their capacity, how many cells in series in each brick, etc.

Will they fit on the rack, mounted in the front? Do I really need 4 bricks, or could something smaller be better? Where would the bricks come from? Any links or recommendations?
My recommendation is not using "bricks" at all, but rather to get a complete battery pack already prebuilt, that comes with a charger specifically for it, like those from EM3EV or Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca, etc. That way you don't have any building of the battery to deal with, or packaging, it's all ready to go and mount on the bike.

If you already have experience with designing and building batteries, and maintaining them, then making your own out of smaller batteries or cells can be cheaper. But based on your questions I'm assuming you don't have any experience with that, and so I'd recommend the prebuilt ones.

Either way you go, you first need to determine your power needs, which means deciding on a controller voltage/current level first.

That means determining your riding needs, so you need to know how fast you're going to go, how quickly you need to get to that speed from zero, how much pedalling you're going to be doing, what weather / wind conditions you'll ride in, and what terrain you'll be riding on, how much you and the bike weigh, etc.

Lots of hills takes more power than cmopletely flat roads.
Same with a lot of wind vs calm still air.
Same with higher speeds vs lower ones.
Same with really quick acceleration vs getting up to speed more slowly.
Same with more stops/starts vs continuous riding.
Same with higher rider and bike weight vs lighter rider/bike.
etc.

Also I have heard that vibration is not good for the system. I guess its not good for any system, but the electronics in particular could be reduced, if possible. Would there be a difference in mounting the batteries, and controller in front or on the rear rack?
Only if there's a difference in the shock-absorbers at one end or the other, or in whetehr the frotn or rear racks are mounted on the bike frame or on the swingarm/fork legs. If the racks are unsuspended, it's really about the same at either end of the bike.

Controllers are generally better at handling the vibration than chargers are, so if you mount the charger on the bike, get one that's designed for that, like the Satiator from http://ebikes.ca or some of the Meanwell HLG series LED PSUs discussed in many threads around the forum. Those are sealed and potted against weather and vibration (but more expensive than the common chargers). Or just don't mount the charger on the bike, and just keep one at each location you need to charge at, or carry it in a backpack you wear while riding.

The controller can probably handle the vibration; there are sealed potted controllers too like the Phaserunner from http://ebikes.ca if you have an extreme condition you don't think regular ones will survive.

What bike are you intending to use. Show us a picture. I have been running a front hub motor for over 13000 miles so far, but the type of fork you intend to use is important. Let us know (with pictures) what bike you are going to use.

Mine is a yescomusa motor that came in a kit with the controller, throttle, ebike breaks levers, tire and tube and battery bag. (for some reason they don't add rim liners.) If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone for a rear hub motor because the problem of having torque arms on both sides of the front wheel. Rear hub motors usually only need one torque arm.

I would place the battery weight inside the triangle of he bike for best weight distribution if possible.

72v might be too much for the forks. As AW stated, if you go to 72v then decrease the amperage so you don't spread the fork dropouts and have the wheel fly out.

Show us some pictures of your bike.

:D

This is the bike I want to install a front wheel system. Basically it will use for pulling hills and mountains. So many questions here. Will the front fork be suitable for an E system? I will need the batteries to last about one hour minimum. The long the better however, What batteries could I mount to the front of the bike with a front bike rack? Please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20180724_113616.jpg
    IMG_20180724_113616.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IMG_20180724_113725.jpg
    IMG_20180724_113725.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,102
Ru14real said:
This is the bike I want to install a front wheel system. Basically it will use for pulling hills and mountains. So many questions here. Will the front fork be suitable for an E system? I will need the batteries to last about one hour minimum. The long the better however, What batteries could I mount to the front of the bike with a front bike rack? Please let me know.

First question: Are you intending to keep the ic engine? If so, you should get a geared hub motor to reduce the drag that a direct drive (DD) hub motor has.

The front fork is fine if you have torque arms on both sides.

Your idea of the battery "lasting" for one hour fully depends on the watt hours you are using. There is no way to tell really until you know your riding style compounded by your environment. Wind and cold will cause to use more battery. Hill will really cause you to use battery.

You can put any battery you have in a basket on your handlebars, but a big battery is heavy. RC Lipo is light and energy dense, but is also volatile and mis-handled can burn your house down....literately.

An 18650 brick, will give you good performance, if you don't beat it up too bad.

LiFePo4 is a good non-volatile choice that is safer then other chemistries, but is less energy dense and heavier. Very safe to use though.

As noted, hills/mountains are going to eat up battery power.

There are sites like kreuzotter.de that have calculators to determine the power you'd need at the tire to do various things, and simulators like http://ebikes.ca/simulator that can be used to guesstimate wh/mile usage and overheating times for various scenarios.

If you use those to guesstimate the worst-case power usage you'll have, then you can guesstimate your battery needs.

As a root guess to start off with, if you were to use 1500W on average, for an hour, you'd need 1500Wh of battery at minimum to do that. That's a fairly large battery. (I have an ~2000Wh battery on my SB Cruiser, and it weighs between 35 and 40lbs, and is as big as a stack of hardback books).

If you think you'll run into detours or winds or whatnot, you'll want to add enough Wh to the pack needs for that sort of thing, too.

You'll also want to add at least 20-25% or more to the pack to account for aging. As the pack gets older, it'll be less and less able to supply the full capacity.

Also, the more often you run the pack to empty, the harder it is on the cells, and the longer it takes to rebalance the cells after the bulk of charging is done. If you only run it down at wprst half or 3/4 most of the time, then it'll last longer, perform better, and not take as long to charge.

I have decided to use a different kit.

This one is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPX2B4D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A82RUP8N11HNY&psc=1

Now I have to decide on the battery. I prefer a rack. Now my question is what is the difference between 14.5 AH and 17.5AH? I think that the 17.5 ah gives the motor more power, however the 14.5ah has longer charge, so I wont have to recharge as quickly. Am I right about this?

THis is the one I am thinking about getting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C15TR3T/?coliid=IZX6PHQ2WNRIK&colid=2836AWA2VLFNU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have also seen ones with a 20ah load. Would those be better? Should I get this from another site for cheaper? Please let me know.

Ru14real said:
Now I have to decide on the battery. I prefer a rack. Now my question is what is the difference between 14.5 AH and 17.5AH? I think that the 17.5 ah gives the motor more power, however the 14.5ah has longer charge, so I wont have to recharge as quickly. Am I right about this?
No. A lower number for capacity would last less time than a higher number for capacity, and probably be able to deliver less current.

There's a number of factors on what battery to get, but if you need a certain amount of range, you need to look at the total Wh vs the Wh/mile your setup is going to take with your riding style, terrain, wind, etc.

The C-rate of the battery itself times it's capacity tells you if it matches or exceeds (a good thing) the A rating of your controller.

I have also seen ones with a 20ah load.
20Ah is not a load, it's a capacity, and batteries don't have a load.

A controller is a load, and has an A rating for that.

Should I get this from another site for cheaper?
Cheaper is usually worse quality, so that's up to you how well you want things to perform and for how long.

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, though, so your best bet is to look around the forum for threads about trusted sellers / vendors, and pick from those others have had no problems with.

Ru14real said:

This one is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPX2B4D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A82RUP8N11HNY&psc=1
That motor is gearless, meaning you will have to use it all the time or it will drag when not being powered by your battery. Geared hub motors freewheel when no in use.

Heavy batteries on a rack destablize a bike. If you want to put batteries on a rack, put them in panniers on a rack. The battery has to be matched with the controller. In other words, the battery has to be able to supply the load the controller is placing upon the battery when you are using the motor. The more the amp hours (AH) larger the capacity the battery has. This translates into longer riding times depending on riding conditions. Weight, wind, hills, how much throttle you use, air temperature to name a few.

Also, if the one you order has a 10mm axle, you will need to use a file to open up and deepen your 9.5mm dropouts. Don't forget to order 2 torque arms so your motor doesn't crack out of the dropouts while you are riding.

I made my own, but check this page out:

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/torque-arms.html

I've had batteries on front and on back:

On the front I had 6ah of 74V mounted securely at the triple clamps. I could really only feel the weight in the flickability department, ie needing to throw the handlebars left or right. While turning that 10lbs or so including the steel rack I fabbed was a non-issue. The most significant issue was while parked, since significant weight up that high on front definitely leads to instability on a kickstand.

On the back on a rack above the rear wheel, I could always feel...kinda a wag the dog thing.
The lower and more rearward your battery weight, the lighter your bike will feel, though a front motor cancels out much of that effect. I've even mounted significant battery on the swingarm immediately in front of the wheel with little ill effect...only the negative effect of extra unsprung weight.

Keep in mind that my results are strictly for street riding. If you want to go off road, then get the battery as low as possible in the middle of the bike for best results.

Ru14real said:

THis is the one I am thinking about getting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C15TR3T/?coliid=IZX6PHQ2WNRIK&colid=2836AWA2VLFNU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have also seen ones with a 20ah load. Would those be better? Should I get this from another site for cheaper? Please let me know.

I have that battery pack - it is a bit odd that the main switch does not disconnect it. The rear light quit working on day one, but I like the kit. With a rear hub motor I def have all the weight on the rear, but it rides fine for me. Seems to have plenty of capacity.

I used this kit off ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V1000W-26-Front-Rear-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Kit-E-Bike-Conversion-Kit/291973640306?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=590969387989&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

quite nice, all plug and play with good directions. Was surprised the rear hub even had the tire mounted and ready to go.

Back