Looking for someone that can make torque plates for my Yuba Mundo

I bought a TDCM DD hub from Grin Tech http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors/igh-395.html The axle seems to be a bit smaller than the standard 12mm I've seen on the other ebike hubmotors I've had. Is there someone on here that's US based that might be able to make me two sets of outside torque plates to fit this baby? The ones I currently have for my MAC motor are wide triangles, with the longest side snugly fitted below the frame tube above the rear wheel mounts. The longest side is about 3 inches long. I'd just be looking for exactly the same thing, I think, with a 10mm hole for the axle (flatted to hold everything in place, of course).

Just add some arc weld round the holes and re-shape them to your new axle, using a small triangle file and a chainsaw round file.

If you want to make a new set, do them pinch slots so they will fit all.

Well, I don't want to weld the ones I have-they fit every other bike motor I've ever seen and I may want them for a different motor in the future. What I hope to find is someone that can cut some for me if I send pics and measurements. They are just flat triangles with holes-if I had equipment for that, I'd do it myself, but sadly, I don't.

Angle grinder, hand drill, files... basic yet good enough to make a masterpiece out of scrap metal. 8)

I have no doubt that you will find someone nearby to make them quick and cheap.

Online classifieds for your used angle grinder, probably $20 if that.
You should see mine, they are 2" x 4" x 1/4" with slots cut out, and some hose clamps.
The axle fit isnt exact, but whatever.
And yes I used two axle nuts!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93729&hilit=wrench+torque+arms&start=25#p1372788

I cant seem to find a picture of it, but people have used wrenches and hose clamps.

wyvern, if you don't want to do it yourself & don't have someone to do it locally, look for the topic 'Custom Waterjet Cut Parts' in the forsale new items forum.

wyvernwaddell said:
The ones I currently have for my MAC motor are wide triangles, with the longest side snugly fitted below the frame tube above the rear wheel mounts. The longest side is about 3 inches long. I'd just be looking for exactly the same thing, I think, with a 10mm hole for the axle (flatted to hold everything in place, of course).
Well, gee - you've chosen a double-whammy of what may the worst bike in which to mount a hub motor (14mm dropouts) and the worst motor to mount in a frame because of the wacky non-standard axle + proprietary TA attachment.

You could get away with a flatted hole on one side, but you need a full dropout slot on the other for the tab. I would recommend just going with two slots so the machining/fabrication is the same (and easier). Fortunately, the Mundo has long semi-horizontal dropouts so the motor torque-tab should fit in there okay. Here's a close-up from JLE on the TA issue...

Frankly, this is a simple shape that you can easily fabricate with a bit of 1/4" flat bar from Home Depot, a hacksaw, file, and drill. It's all outside cuts except for the slot which you can make with a few 1/8" holes across the bottom and two hacksaw cuts. Your problem could be solved in a Saturday afternoon. PITA, but doable. Shoot it with a rattle can - done.

I'm guessing the tab is 10mm wide to fit a standard dropout but the tab only appears to be about 9-10mm deep and the Mundo dropouts are about 6mm thick. This leaves you about 3-4mm of tab to catch with your outside torque plates which should be enough (about 1/8") but doesn't scream 'overbuilt'. I'm guessing you want to align one face of the tab to be in contact with the Mundo dropout to bear part of the torque - this would be the counter-rotation face of upper side of the left dropout. Another approach would be a machined piece with a 4mm wide shoulder that slipped into the 14mm dropout to fill the gap for the 10mm wide tab - this would improve the fit and allow the Mundo slot to better bear the torque load - particularly if regen is your plan..

This isn't a hugely powerful motor so not a huge deal, but you can only have a TA on one side and the combination of slots and tabs really sucks....

Back