Question to owners of KT-LCD3 / LCD6

Dormin

1 mW
Has anyone actually tried the 'Maximum Trip Speed' -limiting function in the LCD3 / LCD6 settings and does it work properly? I mean, does it limit both the PAS and throttle speeds to whatever you set the value to? I'd like to know this before I buy a new controller and LCD. I know most people want to increase the speed of their ebike instead of decreasing it, but I'm interested in making my bike road legal for commuting :)

Yes works as expected. Set it for how fast you want to go (max) in kilometers, and that's how fast it will go when the motor stops providing any assist. 34km=20mph

I'm not familiar with the LCD6 but I just set up 2 LCD5's to do just that. The instructions are difficult but I found a set from Dillinger that seem to have been translated a little more clearly. See Dillinger KT-LCD3 User Manual ebike Special Meter.
I question that a bike becomes "legal" if it is only a matter of selecting a lower setting on the meter?

Thanks for your replies, I'm asking because with my current controller the limiting does not work properly and I've read posts saying that with some controllers/lcd's the speed governor only affects the throttle.

And yes, whether limiting the speed in the LCD makes it properly "legal" or not is kinda a grey area but it would be better than nothing if the bike would be the subject of a quick random inspection by the police. I mean, if changing the setting is difficult and requires a manual because it's in a hidden menu then it might just be hidden enough for a surprise inspection :lol:

Hwy89 said:
I'm not familiar with the LCD6 but I just set up 2 LCD5's to do just that. The instructions are difficult but I found a set from Dillinger that seem to have been translated a little more clearly. See Dillinger KT-LCD3 User Manual ebike Special Meter.
I question that a bike becomes "legal" if it is only a matter of selecting a lower setting on the meter?

That probably depends a LOT on where you live and how the particular law is written. Given that the options in the LCD panel can only be made shortly after powering on - hence keeping you from simply pressing a few buttons to change settings mid-ride - I'd argue that they should satisfy Arizona Law.

BTW, I run an LCD5 and the speed limiting works flawlessly for throttle and PAS. The option to only allow hand throttle (they call it "handlebar" I think) while pedaling also works fine. I don't like it, but it allows my bike to be Class 1 or Class 3 compliant.

Yes, I have tested the speed limit on my LCD3 with a 26A KT controller. I set it to 30 km/hr and yes, it limits the bike to 18 mph in PAS/throttle. On 52V, it pulls like a train and then the fun stops. Now I know how people with $6000 Class I/II ebikes feel when they hit the 20mph limit. Laws can be so silly.

A week or so ago I decided to re-test the free-spinning top speed of my motor/wheel just to make sure I had remembered it correctly - and maybe I was a little bored. It remembered it as being somewhere just north of 40 mph. So I had a small moment of surprise and mild panic when the motor would only spin the wheel to 28 mph!!! What the heck was wrong?!? Then I remembered I'd configured it for the upcoming law change in AZ. So the controller config was dutifully keeping the wheel at 28 mph - just like it was supposed to.

Back