What's different between a Crysta Journey and an older kit ?

TA

1 µW
Hi !

I'm a French user of a Crysta 4011-408 kit which is one year old. Have some questions, and I didn't find the answers yet.

Today the 4xx motors are available in the Journey Kits, and I'd like to know if it's just a new name or if the motors are really improved. On the Crystalyte websites (crystalyte and crystalyte-europe), it's indicated "New Journey kit" with a new battery box, better connectors, and a rounded shape for the controller. But they don't indicate any technical modification on the motors or on the controllers (dedicated pages are exactly the same as one year ago)...

I've heard from an user that the kits known as Journey where improved with the following consequences :
- "Better efficiency" == more kilometers with the same battery,
- "Better transparency" == no mechanical brake : if the battery is "off", the motor doesn't resist anymore,
- "No electric brake" == if the battery is "on" and if the cyclist rides faster than the top speed of the motor, he doesn't fight any electric brake.

Sounds great but nobody until now told me which technical modification caused this. Has one of you heard about those improvements ?
If yes, is this only a controller modification, or was the motor changed too ? If it's possible to improve efficiency and electric brake items by a controller exchange, I'm interested...

Thanks a lot for your answers & for reading my poor English...

Howdy.

As far as I can tell, the Journy controller is just the standard 20 amp. Your dual motor controll box is the 20 amp controller in the bigger square 35 amp controller box. that gives them the extra room needed tor the switch. If you open up your controller, you'll see why. Its a big switch.

The only other diffrence is the battery. the journy comes with that funny egg shaped battery box, but 36V batteries.

Hey, guys, but then how does that fulfill the remaining claims?
- "Better transparency" == no mechanical brake : if the battery is "off", the motor doesn't resist anymore,
- "No electric brake" == if the battery is "on" and if the cyclist rides faster than the top speed of the motor, he doesn't fight any electric brake.

Imagining a freewheeling motor---Sounds like that's what they've done there?

Welcome TA. Thanks for being here.
Your English is more than good;
it's great!

___________edit:

eh, here, english

http://www.crystalyte.ca/news.htm

http://www.crystalyte.ca/clrearkit.htm
sure does sound like just the same motor as ever.
I think it seems like a simplified selling process;
cut the options, concentrate on the core market,
make it look simpler, sell the sizzle, lie just a little

Thank you for those answers !

Reid Welch said:
Hey, guys, but then how does that fulfill the remaining claims?

Well... the user who told me that the Journey has been improved is maybe interessed by making business with those kits :roll: ... So I'm not definitively sure that the Journey really fulfills the listed improvements.

Yet it seems conventional Xlyte controllers do cause at least some drag, as demonstrated by disconnecting them, see Drunkskunk's first post here. So perhaps the journey controller is designed to have less drag? But, for me the question would be, how to minimize this drag on a conventional Xlyte...

Yes, I confirm that I really feel that drag on my Crysta. As you (Francois ?) probably knows, here in France we are not allowed to use very quick and powerfull electric bikes. The bike shouldn't be assisted from quite a slow 25 km/h speed. Then comes the electric brake/drag... Even if you can't ride really fast in Paris (too much trafic, too small streets...), you're often above 25 for short time, and this drag is a daily concern to me.
So I'm also interested by minimizing the drag on my conventional crysta ! That's exactly why I'm wondering if the Journey's really better. I could use the controller on my bike ?

Back