MANITOU SHERMAN SLIDER PLUS spv 170. opinions?

kneedeep

100 W
I found a set of these cheap locally they are old but do not have a wear on the tubes. Owner said he upgraded soon after buying a bike. What are your opinions on this fork? I will be running them on a 3000watt 48v bike weighing 95lb total with battery and motor. I am about 180lb now and this will be a street only bike. I will service the SPV and new seals if needed. I will also be running a ERT 17" conversion wheel on this and 203mm disc.

Those are some pretty serious forks and I doubt anyone here has any experience w/ them. W/ almost 7 inches of travel, they might even be overkill for the street.
If the fork/wheel combo doesn't change the bike's geometry, they should be ok and provide a plush ride.
http://www.mtbr.com/product/older-categories-bikes/2005-front-shocks/manitou/sherman-slider-plus.html

Most Manitou Sherman series forks are on the walls today. They are not worth the cost of a rebuild. This fork is obsolete for mountain riding, but if it is functional and ridden on the street, it could last very long before needing a rebuild.

motomech said:
Those are some pretty serious forks and I doubt anyone here has any experience w/ them. W/ almost 7 inches of travel, they might even be overkill for the street.
If the fork/wheel combo doesn't change the bike's geometry, they should be ok and provide a plush ride.
http://www.mtbr.com/product/older-categories-bikes/2005-front-shocks/manitou/sherman-slider-plus.html

I have been running Bomber 888's for the past 2 years strictly on the street so no such thing as overkill lol.

I rode a Sherman 150mm on my city mountain bike for a few years. I bought it for $50 and it was next to new when I bought it. This was back on 2014 so it was a dated fork by then. But It was nice and plush. I really liked that It slackened my headtube angle out. My bike original came with an 80mm fork. People say you shouldn't over fork more than 20mm, but my bike survived countless 3-4ft drops to flat concrete. I would say the Sherman is fine for street. Just don't pay too much. You can pick up a SUNTOUR SR EPIXON on eBay new for under $200 and if you really need a tall fork, get the 29" 140mm and run 26" with it

The fork was $100 so it was in my price point. I am surprised how heavy it is compared to the Bomber for on my other bike. I am happy with the purchase now to start ordering parts.

kneedeep said:
The fork was $100 so it was in my price point. I am surprised how heavy it is compared to the Bomber for on my other bike. I am happy with the purchase now to start ordering parts.

Yes, they are very heavy for a 32mm fork. Crazy to think back in 2004 you could buy a 180mm Sherman, that came with 32mm stanchions, and a Q/R skewer dropout. :shock: I'm sure it's pretty bomb proof though. Back then freeride was huge and sending the biggest huck was all the rage.

I think what makes them so heavy is the steerer tube is steel, not aluminum... at least it was on mine.

Oh! Today’s freeriders are even more extreme. Their equipment is better, and the videos are setting the goals much higher. All disciplines of MTB are doing better than 15 years ago. Freeriders are off the courses. They are gravity maniacs who are always trying to find a new wild descent. Bike parks are not enough, too prep. The adrenalin is coming from the unpredictable next turn, on mountains that are not designed and managed.

Back