"New" Polaris E-Bike

nlhaines

100 W
Someone on craigslist near me is selling "new" and "like new" Polaris E-bikes for $750-$1000. The Polaris e-bike is division is defunct, but was purchased by "Power In Motion" bicycles, and they sell batteries that are supposedly compatible with Polaris e-bikes, but they charge $499 for a 380wh pack - the stock battery is even smaller. There is another website that will supposedly replace the battery for certain models with a 44V 12ah pack for $600

Assuming the specs of the bike suit my needs, I like the way it rides, the PIM packs are compatible and the PIM shop would offer technical support, would it be wise to purchase one of these for $500-800? I tend to think the answer is "yes" at around $500-600 and "maybe" at $601-$800.

Thanks

What I'm hoping to gain insight into is, how bad is it if the company behind your e-bike goes out of business? Obviously, you lose any warranty, and if something goes wrong you're more or less on your own. Are the proprietary parts impossible to replace/repair or is it fairly manageable? Or, does that just depend on the bike?

I rode Polaris bike(s) at the Electric Bike Expo in San Diego in early 2016, then wasn't surprised to learn they were going out of business since their bikes were the least fun to ride of the many that I tried. I would be concerned that the batteries are pretty old by now. If you like the way the bike rides, and can purchase one for $500, it's probably a decent deal unless you need to replace the battery.Ask the experts how to access battery health.

2old said:
I rode Polaris bike(s) at the Electric Bike Expo in San Diego in early 2016, then wasn't surprised to learn they were going out of business since their bikes were the least fun to ride of the many that I tried. I would be concerned that the batteries are pretty old by now. If you like the way the bike rides, and can purchase one for $500, it's probably a decent deal unless you need to replace the battery.Ask the experts how to access battery health.

I think the motor may be lacking, but the frame could be a good one. A poster on another forum said he put a luna cyclone into it and it's amazing...So I'm thinking I get a cheap e-bike for now and once the battery goes I upgrade with a cyclone kit and better battery.

Back