Limiting Throttle on 48V to 36V speeds

markz

100 TW
A) Is it as simple as putting in a resistor inline with the "Signal Wire"?
B) Then using a simple SPDT switch when I want either speed limits?

Probing "Signal Wire" with DMM
~1.00V at rest
Twist the throttle ~4.00V

The Down Low
- I am doing this because I want to have the ability to go 48V speeds (on occasion) but when I was on 48V I find I tend to go faster longer burning more Wh when there is no need to, that is why I converted back to 36V but found that sometimes its just too slow when it reaches the lower voltages and for example I am coming up on a hill. I have a bunch of resistors and a few pots now, so might as well give errrrrr a go, I just wonder at what Ohm rating should I start. Will be a lot of practicle on road tests for this project.

I guess you could start by figuring out what throttle voltage corresponds to the speed you're looking for. Monitoring the voltage while you ride, along with a speedometer should give you the target voltage, then it's up to ohms law to figure out the resistance you need to achieve that voltage. Or just cheat and set a pot to get it right, then measure the resistance across the pot and install your resistor.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

These guys describe one method. They also tell you that a series resistor won't work for a Hall effect throttle.

https://visforvoltage.org/forum/7705-tricking-0-5-v-hall-effect-throttle

I would have put the voltage divider on the throttle's 4.5V power lead, but the above seems better.

markz said:
TYVM T.C.
These pics below, from your link, saved on E.S. now!

Glad I could help out! If you had time to go thru my Hall Sensor Throttle thread, do you think it would be welcomed on E.S. Or is it just old news?

Regards,
T.C.

Back