help, I just screwed up

Ru14real

1 mW
I just bought the following kit and battery: https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1000W-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-26-Bike-Front-Wheel-Conversion-Kit-Cycling/162293809933, and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C15TR3T/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=AF0FBM1E362GS&psc=1. My stupid thinking I touched the red wire with the black wire and there was a spark. Now the tail light will not go on. Did I do some serious damage to the battery, hub, or controler? Will I have to replace the whole thing? I need help really bad. I dont have a volt meter or anything to test circuits. I think I screwed up big time.

This light you speak of, was it the tail light on the battery pack or on the controller/battery gauge/throttle?

Was there a whole lot of smoke?

if not... the battery pack or BMS on the battery pack may only have a blown fuse
if yes... the controller or pack may be toast, chances are the hub is still good

Where did the smoke come from?

Controller: Mosfets are probably all burned, you'll need to replace it
Battery: BMS is cooked, will need to replace whole pack or maybe just BMS

You really need a DMM or multi-meter to properly test and record the results so when we ask a tecnical troubleshooting question, you can have a DMM measured response to give. This will be key to solving this issue.

Get your freebie DMM here:
https://www.hfqpdb.com/best_coupon/7+FUNCTION+DIGITAL+MULTIMETER

very little smoke from the spark where I touched the connector. Yes, the light was in the tail light from the battery back. I am freaking out now

Relax, ES is here to help, you came to right place. Which 2 wires exactly touched?

Problem 1: We need you to test the battery with a DMM and see if there is any voltage present.

Secondary problem: (may be solved with new pack fuse or BMS) In the manual or tech sheet for the battery pack, does it specify where the taillight is supposed to be hooked up? (I looked at the Amazon page and this info wasn't there)

Is it a 12v light or 48v light?

Is it hooked up to the brake wires going to the controller or is there an independent switch on the pack to turn it on/off?

My assumption is the taillight is 12v and is supposed run off the brake wires going to the controller and you accidentally gave it 48v.

I am going to get a voltmeter, along with a new fuse. I am not sure what voltage the back light is, but I cant imagine its takes that much electricity, Id guess its 12v. There is no brake wires on the bike. I am sure I dont need it, but there is an on off button on the throttle.

Ru14real said:
There is no brake wires on the bike.

The ebay link you provided for the controller includes 2 brake levers with 2 wires on each. Are you not using these?

If you don't have cable operated brakes I can see why you don't use them, but I'd try to wire a brake switch up to your current brakes or at least a simple momentary switch on the bars. The motor controller needs to know when you are braking so it can cut off the throttle input and possibly save you from an accident or hurting someone else.

The push button on the throttle assembly is usually an on/off power switch for the whole bike, not the brakes.

The fuse you are going to buy... how do you know its the right size and style? have you found a blown fuse?

very little smoke is the best you could hope for
very little black markings associated with spark is the best you could hope for

Now buy a Digital Multi Meter and measure your battery.
If there is no voltage, then its your BMS in the pack, that hopefully just blew a fuse. Open up the case, cut the shrink wrap if there is any and replace the fuse. measure with meter. if it reads right, hook up and see if it runs.

if not more steps need to be taken

I am gonna do that, I will try to get a volt meter tomorrow from harbor freight. First I am going to replace the fuse, even though it appears to be good (just checking by sight). If its the bms then what should I do to fix it. Also someone said that I should not open the case because it could be dangerous. SInce I dont know what I am doing, it might be a good idea to try the other things first. However, if it is the BMS, I will need some help replacing it. WIll know more tomorrow and post more too.

Thanks everybody.

Replaced the fuse and still no action. I opened up the case and could not see any thing that has been burned. What to do now?

Something like a pcb:https://www.google.com/search?q=BMS+pcb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWhYCS2srdAhWllYsKHWhnC4IQ_AUIDigB&biw=2048&bih=754

First try unplugging the battery from the controller and plug it back in. This will reset a tripped BMS.

If that doesn’t help, then probably a little piece of trace on the BMS circuit board burned off and could be fixed by soldering a piece of wire across it.

Try to post some pics and we’ll have a better idea.

I just put it together and it seems to be just fine. I guess there was no lasting damage to any of the parts, except the charge lights dont work on the battery case. I just want to say, The same charge lights on the throttle work though, so I dont need to sets of them anyway. I appreciate everyone's help and sorry for my panic attack.

Back