Earth 29SP Advice

tajanator

1 mW
Hey guys,
So this may be a stupid question, but is 500w "enough" for an ebike?
I was looking at the Earth 29SP, linked below, but I noticed it's a 500w hub motor. Has anyone had any experience with this brand? My current 250w hub is good, but I can't help but think that 500w won't be too much of a difference from it.

Also, the Earth doesn't have full throttle, just a walk assist throttle at 6km/h and pedal assist. Is there some way to modify the throttle to unlock it's top speed?

Finally, is it possible to swap its motor for a higher wattage one like a 750w or 1000w later if I want an upgrade?

Cheers.

https://sydney-electric-bikes.myshopify.com/products/earth-t-rex-sp-stepover-29er-electric-bicycle

If you click on the Electrical tab it says that it's a 500W Motor limited to 250W

If you want more power then it's not really a good idea to buy a fully fledged 250W ebike and replace the hub. Why, because the Controller decides how much power the Hub gets. So first you need a new Controller and then you need to make sure the Battery can handle a 1000W output without tripping the BMS.

You are better off buying a complete 1000W ebike kit and converting your existing bike. Or buy the kit without a Battery and look for a decent quality battery here in the For Sale threads.

eee291 said:
If you click on the Electrical tab it says that it's a 500W Motor limited to 250W

If you want more power then it's not really a good idea to buy a fully fledged 250W ebike and replace the hub. Why, because the Controller decides how much power the Hub gets. So first you need a new Controller and then you need to make sure the Battery can handle a 1000W output without tripping the BMS.

You are better off buying a complete 1000W ebike kit and converting your existing bike. Or buy the kit without a Battery and look for a decent quality battery here in the For Sale threads.

Right ok. Have you ever ridden a 500w? Did you find it was good enough?
Cheers.

I haven't tried a 500W setup that was geared to 15Mph.
When I used a 600W Direct drive Hub that was geared to 27mph, it was certainly too weak once I hit a small incline. I find 1200W to be pretty good.

http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/hub-motors.html

http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html
You can see the exact same motor listed as 250 watts, 500 watts, and 1000 watts

Yes, THE EXACT SAME MOTOR is listed as multiple watts because they want to sell their motor to as many people as possible.
Some people, but not all people, like British and Australian people want a 250W
While some people, but not all people, like Americans and Canadians want a 750W

Exact same motor!
The sellers just print out a different sticker to slap on the motor so those "some people" can feel happy they won't go to prison for breaking an ambiguous ebike law in their country.

Please read on about
Justin's Complete Rant
There is NO SUCH THING as a "rated watt" or any standarized method for rating ebike motor power.

Well I may have said 500w or 600w hub motor, but I was talking about the actual power that the Controller is drawing. They were all the same 4 turn 35mm magnet hubs. I was using different Controllers mainly.

Back