How To Commute Safely By Electric Bike

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Hehe... Owner of the Billion+ electric bike outlets (not sure watt body count is actually up to... today...) chimes in...

PedegoCanadaLogoWebsite.png

How To Commute Safely By Electric Bike:
https://pedegoelectricbikes.ca/commute-safely-by-electric-bike/

Starts:
More and more Canadians are turning to electric bikes as a great way to commute to work and school. That’s because it doesn’t require any expensive and polluting gasoline, it’s easy to find parking and, above all, it’s fun! A lot more fun than sitting in a traffic jam, at any rate.

Before joining the ebike commuting revolution, there are some things that every electric bike rider should know about. For example, because electric bikes are relatively new on the commuting landscape, it’s important to realize that some drivers won’t appreciate how fast you can go. They simply see you as riding a bicycle and make assumptions based on the speed of a typical bicycle rider. However, as we all know, electric bikes can go much faster than regular bikes, especially up hills. So be a defensive rider and anticipate those drivers who may see you but who may pull out in front of you anyway because they’re expecting you to be going a lot slower.

With the help of Hub Cycling and Momentum Mag, we’ve compiled these 20 other tips to help you commute safely in Canada via electric bicycle:

8)

Saved the best for last:
Dress for the weather in layers of light clothing that can be added or removed as needed.

(Hehe... Life-long sailor... and camper...) :lol:

By the time they get down towards the bottom of the list, they look more like rules that are made to be broken. I mean, good to bear in mind, but when confronted with the ambiguities of real world roads, exceptions will be made.

SEVENTEEN
Do not enter the right-turn lane if you are going straight.
EIGHTEEN
You are not allowed to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk or in crosswalks.

First rule: Stay alive

Any other rule that could eventually compromise the first, is irrelevant.

It’s a jungle out there 🎵

donn said:
EIGHTEEN
You are not allowed to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk or in crosswalks.

This one is flat wrong in Arizona. Additionally, while I agree with the general idea of avoiding sidewalks, it definitely should NOT be a hard rule. There are clearly situations when riding on a sidewalk is a preferred choice.

Note: I just visited the article and see that the context is e-biking in Canada.

Riding bikes on sidewalks is extremely dangerous. Sidewalks are designed and maintained for 5mph and people expect that to the the maximum speed there, so don't exceed that speed on a sidewalk. Many accidents occur when people attempt to ride on the sidewalk. When you are on a sidewalk you essentially become a pedestrian. Whether it is legal or not is a local issue. Whether it is safe or not is another story entirely. If you ride at 5mph then the sidewalk may be ok. Ebikes have better choices.

Yeah, in fact I'd probably be in favor of making it a law, but once in a while there would be a place where the law would be stupid, and I don't think there's any way all the exceptions could be codified into the law. The way this kind of thing usually works is, the law is selectively enforced when it's a) a clearly inappropriate act, or b) the kind of person the cops like to harass.

Alan B said:
Riding bikes on sidewalks is extremely dangerous. Sidewalks are designed and maintained for 5mph and people expect that to the the maximum speed there, so don't exceed that speed on a sidewalk. Many accidents occur when people attempt to ride on the sidewalk. When you are on a sidewalk you essentially become a pedestrian. Whether it is legal or not is a local issue. Whether it is safe or not is another story entirely. If you ride at 5mph then the sidewalk may be ok. Ebikes have better choices.

That's probably a sensible notion in San Francisco and many (perhaps most) other places. But come out to Scottsdale, Phoenix and similar cities and I can demonstrate to you that there can be very clear exceptions. Pedestrian traffic is almost non-existent on most Valley sidewalks. You may think that is an exaggeration, but it isn't. We are such a car culture here, that walking on sidewalks is pretty rare in most non-downtown areas. Furthermore, I routinely have to deal with pedestrians in bike lanes. So dealing with them on sidewalks isn't all that different.

I avoid sidewalks as a general rule for a variety of reasons. They are generally not optimal or even good for bike riding. But I do make exceptions to my general rule with no reservations. One of those exceptions that I make is in riding on the sidewalk on East Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd near the Scottsdale Airport. Here's a Google Map link to that stretch of road (specifically, the stretch between North Hayden Road and North Greenway Hayden Loop.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6323366,-111.9019737,771m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you zoom in (link below) you'll see that the North side of the street has no bike lane or sidewalk.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6323742,-111.8972092,53a,35y,270h,47.66t/data=!3m1!1e3

This is a heavily trafficked road and it would be risky to ride in the right lane alongside it. There is a dirt trail, however, that is passable. But on the South side, there is an 8 foot wide (my eyeball estimate) sidewalk that might have a single person on it every fifth or sixth time that I ride it. And that may exaggerate the foot traffic. The sidewalk is long, straight and wide.

By using it when heading in to work, I can avoid crossing 50 mph traffic four times. My alternative would be to turn left three times in traffic. Of those the turns, One would be questionable from a safety standpoint. One would be plain stupid. And the third would be OK but I'd be on high alert because of the frequent car speeding on Greenway Hayden Loop.

The negatives for using the sidewalk are that there is a cross street and I can expect cars to NOT see me coming on my trip to work because I'm on the "wrong" side of the road. But that's the key, I CAN predict that and can therefore manage and control what I do and negate that risk. This is hands down the favored route given the options available. And it is very safe not only compared to the alternatives, but compared to many of the bike lanes that I also use. This is true even during the TPC Scottsdale Golf Tournament when there is a lot of foot traffic on this sidewalk and when I find it necessary to dismount and walk my bike for two or three blocks.

I can provide other examples where riding on the sidewalk is clearly and obviously the best and safest option not just for me, but for the community in general. Sometimes, ebikes (or regular bikes) do not have better choices.

donn said:
Yeah, in fact I'd probably be in favor of making it a law, but once in a while there would be a place where the law would be stupid, and I don't think there's any way all the exceptions could be codified into the law. The way this kind of thing usually works is, the law is selectively enforced when it's a) a clearly inappropriate act, or b) the kind of person the cops like to harass.

Exactly! That's why allowing bikes on sidewalks can be sensible so long as you also make it clear that pedestrians have the primary right of way. I can, however, imagine how it could be reasonable to restrict bikes from sidewalks in some areas. Allowing them or not is highly situational.

Always situational, but of course if there are a crowd of walkers on a sidewalk or bike path, you just about have to slow to their speed, at least when overtaking them.

Another situation, any intersection big or small, you go straight on a path or sidewalk, when there is a car beside you, that car will right cross you. ALL right and left cross situations, at 5 mph or at 50 mph on motorcycles, you let it happen. Don't let it happen!!!. Be ABLE to change your path when they change theirs. Your way out of it needs to be pre planned. When I commuted a lot, I took the right, turn lane. But if a car came up behind me, I had left room for it to get by and make its right turn on red. But again, situational. Certain intersections at certain time, no way in hell he's getting his right turn till the green light. Then I would take the lane. If the lane is right turn only, then I would get into the going straight lane. But few streets in my town have right only lanes, and I would avoid them on e bikes.

Bike or motorcycle, once I stop at that intersection, its not the time to stop looking in the mirror. I have that exit planned, my wheel cocked ready to go where I have to, if some dunce is about to whack me from behind for being in the lane blocking it.

Its just all situational awareness. But I feel safer on my scooter in heavy traffic because a motorcycle or bike has possibilities to escape. In a car you just sit there and hope the driver behind you, that tailgated you for miles already, is looking out the front window at all. If not, you just take it like a dog when he hits you from behind. I see more danger from tailgaters on the phone than any other hazard out there.

markz said:
MadRhino said:

Great GNR song 🎵

Dont forget your bell!!!!!!!!

off topic.... but Randy Newman sang It's a Jungle Out There. The Guns and Roses song was Welcome to the Jungle.

[youtube]xBdF3E2NVI8[/youtube]

[youtube]o1tj2zJ2Wvg[/youtube]

Music trivia note... they were only going to give Welcome to the Jungle one play one day at midnight on MTV as a favor called in by a producer when nobody else there liked the band. So many people called in at once because they liked it it literally set the switchboard on fire at the telephone exchange from all the relays overloading....

Oh yeah... back on topic... definitely situational on sidewalks. There are several in my area where the roads have grown so much and there are limited pedestrians that the the bike path is the sidewalk, with city painted lines marking them. No buildings with doorways close enough that people can step out unexpectedly and get hit seems to be one of the factors on where they put them.

Now that you mention it, a new bicycle lane I rode for the first time in downtown Seattle a couple weeks ago, is on the sidewalk. At least, it's on the same level, though paved with asphalt (I think, I didn't have time to stop and really check it out), but it's out by the curb and there's plenty of pedestrian sidewalk to the right. It feels a little hairy, as there can be a fair amount of pedestrians and it isn't obvious that they understand a bicycle traveling at speed might appear in that space. But Seattle's department of transportation is full of ideas, and every time they do something, it's apparently self-evident to them that it must be bicycle friendly, since they meant it to be.

markz said:
MadRhino said:

Great GNR song 🎵

Dont forget your bell!!!!!!!!

Here's your song accompanying NYC alleycat racers from an earlier age (of YouTube, anyway):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuZsRxuEpZs&t=1m12s

Here in Austin, sidewalk riding is legal. It's also best practice in in a few limited situations, due to poor street design and poor traffic control. There's one particular stretch I ride almost every day where the sidewalk is often a better choice than the lane. Speeding drivers, pavement at intersections destroyed by heavy bus and truck traffic, and a narrowed stretch of roadway where bike lanes disappear. It's only a good choice to take the lane there during off hours when traffic is light. When traffic is heavy, there's no good option to go 20mph. That's too fast for the sidewalk but too slow for the lane, when drivers are speeding at 40+ amidst constant driveways, side streets, and ped traffic.

That street really should have a 20mph speed limit, but drivers would probably just go 25 over the limit instead of 15 over. I can't wait for robot cars that abide by speed limits.

I have seen a bicycle "lane" image painted on a regular sized sidewalk once that was in front of houses.
I have seen a wider then normal sidewalk in front of houses. Double wide makes for a lot of snow shoveling.
I have seen an asphalt pathway with yellow line used as a sidewalk in front of houses.

Took the city one year to undo my one wire 3' high fence job, I admit the wire was hanging loosely, for about 10' just hangning. I have to now cut it and wrap it around the pole and wire clamp bolt it. They haven't done nothing to my other wire fence job. And yes, most, if not all people have been using both. From bicyclists, to mom's with strollers, to walkers.

Some sidewalks do not have a ramp but the typical vertical curb, the ones that annoy me are the pathways leading to sidewalks with 90 degrees. The ones that annoy me more are the same, but when there are old age homes around because they have walker strollers. With the new Carbon Tax implemented, those funds should be going towards access for all people of all abilities to physical activities. Whether that is laying down more pathways in suitable area's, converting curbs, installing bike racks on all buses, more parking at train stations, more bike lockers at stations where they are near to fully occupied, building more painted cross walks, painted with ped lights, painted with traffic green/r/y lights especially where ped's get hit, of course more bike lanes.

Commuting safely also means public ad campaign with a notion of enforcing safety to pedestrians and bicyclists.
Even on a pigs personal level , lots dont give a ratsass. Typical vehicle drivers attitude. Had a few pigs purposely almost kill me with their vehicles, then they puff out their chest but that dont scare me, but can't do shit about it so just smile and say I'm going to church officer ;)

markz said:
Commuting safely also means public ad campaign with a notion of enforcing safety to pedestrians and bicyclists.
Even on a pigs personal level , lots dont give a ratsass.

Yes. In Scottsdale and other nearby areas they've put up "Share the Road" signs. And while I appreciate the sentiment, I think it would be better and more informative to be putting up signs that educate drivers on the requirement to pass with a 3 foot buffer. My bet is that the majority of drivers are not aware of that legal requirement.

do not ride on the sidewalk talk, blah, blah.
City of Calgary already designated tens of kilometers of sidewalks as pathways by simply painting yellow line right on the sidewalk.
Before that for many years it were simply sidewalks,
cheap effective way to avoid cars.
"how to commute safely...?" - avoid cars by all means
so yellow line in the middle for whom , obviously for bicycles.
with those yellow lines added on sidewalks all that argument becomes dumb.
Of course I dont ride on sidewalks in downtown Calgary - that is common sense.

Hehe... In this thread so far... "Search found 0 matches: infrastructure... Search found 0 matches: crumbling"... as in crumbling infrastructure? `s OK... The Pedego "Safety" page doesn't mention crumbly stuff like pot holes and broken pavements either. :lol:

Back