On Key?

tajanator

1 mW
Hey guys,

So I had a quick search around and I'm not sure that anyone has done this, but has anyone managed to create an on switch for your ebike in the form of a key? Similar to a motorbike?

If so, do you sell the kits? I have a soldering iron and I'm vaguely savvy if that helps.

Cheers.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=keyswitch&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

more, but harder to find specifics

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=keyswitch&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Hi Taj
I'm in australia.
I'm a locksmith.

Certainly possible to do. Many ways.
Can you describe what you want.

Mounting the keyswitch and wiring to it is the main concern for feasibility.

What I'd use is a lazy cam switch.
Centre, key in and out
Left, momentary turn, OFF
Right momentary turn, ON
So the key is not in the switch while it's either ON or OFF
(The connection is not momentary, just the key turning action.)

Interesting... Only used to toggle On/Off switches.... A key. For "security"? aka "safety"?

^^ Hehe... "aka"... Also Known As. :wink:

Huh?
You're saying Safety and Security are the same thing??
Better start a new topic :D

Hehe... Just usually combine "safety" and "security" as the same things. Reason for a "key" is? :wink:

`Kay. Just curious. Usually left bike plugged in behind desk. Or besides boat. Yah. OK... not "normal". :lol:

LockH said:
`Kay. Just curious. Usually left bike plugged in behind desk. Or besides boat. Yah. OK... not "normal". :lol:

That's why I love you

That Cyclone 4kw I had came with a voltage/key/throttle all in one. The key/ignition thingy you can buy anywhere.

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/battery-accessories/keyswitch.html

http://www.cyclone-tw.com/Parts.html

https://lunacycle.com/cyclone-thumb-throttle-with-on-off-switch-and-voltage-display/

Just wire it up to the ignition wire on the controller.

The ignition key component was great for a quick run into 7-eleven for a carbonated lemon water, or parked bicycle in front of the window near the door at a McDonalds or Tony Roma's where you can keep an eye on it, for a quick McDouble or Medium Steak To-Go.

edit 1

I much prefer the key and voltage in one, then a separate thumb throttle. My big mitts love to cradle the throttle at the base of the thumb joint so anything getting in the way isnt good for me.

Also you can look into a quick disc lock, like what motorcycles use, for other quick in-n-outs like say at the bank, so you use the ignition and the disc lock, instead of dealing with a large U lock, or sometimes there is no easy way to U-lock to anything like at my bank.

edit 2

Then there is the movement alarms with high dB, I am seriously thinking about that because sometimes I am deep in thought solving Metro's crossword.

tajanator said:
Hey guys,
So I had a quick search around and I'm not sure that anyone has done this, but has anyone managed to create an on switch for your ebike in the form of a key? Similar to a motorbike? If so, do you sell the kits? I have a soldering iron and I'm vaguely savvy if that helps.
Cheers.
tajanator,

Seems to me that any old (simple) aftermarket ignition key switch for a motorbike would do the job; just use a multimeter to see what connects and disconnects when the key is turned. Any decent motorcycle shop might have a used item for cheap, or there is always eBay. These things usually connect with crimp-on bullet connectors, without soldering. Mount the ignition switch in the frame or in a box, to discourage tampering with the wiring.

X2flier said:
tajanator said:
Hey guys,
So I had a quick search around and I'm not sure that anyone has done this, but has anyone managed to create an on switch for your ebike in the form of a key? Similar to a motorbike? If so, do you sell the kits? I have a soldering iron and I'm vaguely savvy if that helps.
Cheers.
tajanator,

Seems to me that any old (simple) aftermarket ignition key switch for a motorbike would do the job; just use a multimeter to see what connects and disconnects when the key is turned. Any decent motorcycle shop might have a used item for cheap, or there is always eBay. These things usually connect with crimp-on bullet connectors, without soldering. Mount the ignition switch in the frame or in a box, to discourage tampering with the wiring.

Ok cheers. Would something like this work? How would I connect it to a mid drive bafang motor?
Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Wire-Ignition-Key-Barrel-Switch-Set-for-motorcycles-ATVs-Dirtbikes-2-keys/302286222954?epid=696037604&hash=item4661a9b66a:g:jPUAAOSwv-ZaJ8UC:sc:AU_ExpressDelivery!2072!AU!-1

4 wires

It would have an accessory position

One wire is ground. Second positive.
3rd and 4th Hmmmmmmmmmm
Its been so long since I worked on vehicle ignition. My initial thought is since it has an accessory position on the key position, that one wire goes to starter on ignition key position, another wire connects the battery to all the other positions, so your radio, lights, whatever else you got for motorcycle.

Ignition - gnd and + to ignition
Accessory - gnd and + to battery for accessories
So yeah separate gnds maybe for each.

How you apply that to an ebike, I dunno. Maybe find a 2 wire ignition from a motorcycle.

tajanator said:
Hey guys,

So I had a quick search around and I'm not sure that anyone has done this, but has anyone managed to create an on switch for your ebike in the form of a key? Similar to a motorbike?

If so, do you sell the kits? I have a soldering iron and I'm vaguely savvy if that helps.

Cheers.

Security through obscurity.

Forget the key, just hide an on/off button somewhere.

Magnetic reed switch
Use your brand head badge on the steerer tube
Slide it up n down

StuRat said:
Security through obscurity.

Forget the key, just hide an on/off button somewhere.

That has worked for me :wink: Combine that with a fake key switch and it will really fool them.

tajanator said:
Hey guys,

Sure, easy to do and has been done many times. This is very handy and trivial to wire up to the ignition wire(s) of your controller. Hook the keyswitch in series with another bar-mounted kill switch and you have a handy and optional locking scheme where you can just leave the key ON most of the time if that's convenient. I keep the key on a lanyard in the bike bag and only use it when I'm going to walk away from the bike for a short time so the key is always ready for use with the bike and never forgotten at home.

Stainless security locks are a nice choice for this - they are reasonably weatherproof and the key can be removed in the ON or OFF position so it's never lost or left unattended in the switch on the bike (a good reason not to use a common ignition switch). The current on the ignition wires is low (no more than 100ma) so contact rating isn't too much of an issue. A quick search of eBay will turn up likely candidates.

• If there is any trick to it at all it's making the wiring inaccessible, although since you are really just addressing opportunistic grab-and-ride assaults, you probably don't have to actually worry about hot-wiring (way beyond the skill and effort of this kind of theft). That said, you can use a small aluminum project box (Hammond) and attach it to the controller case using screws from inside the controller case and the lock wiring will be inaccessible. There are certainly more stealthy mounting strategies if that's a big issue for you... Anyhow, don't get all tied up in mounting the key on the bars - just put it where the fab work is easiest and switch it before you mount - easy-peasy.

Back