Riding with night vision

flat tire

100 kW
The bare minimum for riding in low illumination areas is a single gen 3 autogated tube. Autogating means that bright lights won't damage your hardware or render it temporarily unusable. So this is very good for urban areas.

These devices have been in production for about 20 years and they are now available inexpensively to ordinary US citizens although they are export restricted. Each monocular will cost you about $1500 on ebay if you are OK with some imperfections.

As to whether you want to ride monocular or binocular, that depends. If there's enough light for your unaided, adjusted eye to see a monocular can give much better situational awareness. That's what the user manual recommends. On the other hand if you're riding in extremely dark areas or on top of obstacles binocular is very helpful due not only to the increased depth perception but additional image information your brain can use to make a slightly clearer picture than it would have from either monocular alone in terms of detail. Speaking of, a good gen 3 device will have about 2000 by 2000 lines on a circular viewscreen and 40* field of view. Normal field of view is 200* so you might think 40* leaves a lot to be desired, and it does, but in a situation where you otherwise wouldn't be able to see anything it is like turning night to day. While I haven't calculated apparent dot size, it is very high res and a properly adjusted image is extremely sharp and detailed to the extent that you can't really tell you're looking at a virtual image.

Binocular setup is heavier and can be more disorienting but is generally the best option once you are used to it. Properly setup, the binoculars do not really increase your field of view. You could do that, but you would lose the spectroscopy and it would be nauseating while you adjust.

Advantages: Everywhere you look you see really well, including off in the distance. Normally riding at night you only see where your light shines. See stars you never knew existed on a clear night. Remain unobtrusive, great potential to observe wildlife you would otherwise miss. Ride places where you would otherwise not be able to access with a light. Impromptu night vision races on the golf cart path with teams of 6-12 riders would be sick.

Disadvantages: dangerous, learning curve, increased potential for head and eye injury in certain crashes, you look like sam fisher and will probably draw the wrong kind of attention from people who do see you.

So I can't be the only hobbyist riding ebikes with NVGs. They go together like butter and toast. Anyone else?

I did ride blind in many occasions in mountain trails at night. Light dead, 3 or 4 miles of MTB single track to home. Tracks I know very well but still, dangerous game.

MadRhino said:
I did ride blind in many occasions in mountain trails at night. Light dead, 3 or 4 miles of MTB single track to home. Tracks I know very well but still, dangerous game.

Just use phone flash as backup. I do it all the time when time flies and I didn't bring my light. Mount the phone on the handlebar and you are good for a few feet forward.

Hehe... Sorry... To qualify, this discussion related to a smaller (and shrinking), non-urban world not "lit up like a Christmas tree"... (EDIT: For non-"Christians"... means killing a living thing - like a news "paper" , just better lit using electricity and light-emitting diodes) (or carbon filaments, on an "off day"...) ... and now back to your exempli gratia, non-normal programming...

EDIT: post scriptum... one example:
_91543622_lightpollution_spl.jpg

Lol this thread is about using technology to see in the dark without your own light, not riding unaided. Anyone using NVGs?

Hehe... Watts it termed... "see in the dark"? Odd concept... may be outdated? In truth, I have battery-powered flashlights and thingees... and a LED computer screen... and candles... and matches... for use "in a pinch"... (amusing term)
(PS: I actually have to shade MY eyes... ->... watts the future being "too bright" for ebikes. [wink wink])
PPS: May the Gawds Bless anyone watt doesn't see light as a "pollution". [more winks here]

flat tire said:
Lol this thread is about using technology to see in the dark without your own light, not riding unaided. Anyone using NVGs?

I believe you are the only one riding with NVG, so we might as well share the experiences where it could have been useful. 8)

^^ YES! Watt Horny Dude is saying. For example, folks with brain injuries. Great!

^^ She's hot... and horny also. Anybuddy?
(Parle français? ... dommage)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261134049710

These goggles work great in pitch dark, and are designed for use indoors
or in small yards. HOWEVER, I now have tested out many
IR-flashlights and I am including the best&most economical flashlight
for Night Vision use. This flashlight boosts the night
vision illumination from 50 feet to over 500 feet.
I love this flashlight!

This set of goggles is based on infrared LED technology. They include
multiple LED sources, one set is used with the stealth-mode setting. It is
completely invisible to the naked eye. The higher setting illuminates
any indoor room easily and outdoors to about 50 feet. The included
flashlight is a serious IR-torch. It is great for outdoor use.
See full description of the flashlight HERE.

All of the goggles in this listing have been kept in fantastic condition.
I clean and check each pair before listing them here. They are
all guaranteed to be in working order.

See the bottom of the page for details on returning items.

Description

Typical Night Vision Goggles do not shine any light outward. They only enhance

light that is already present. These IR goggles are limited by how far the infrared

light can shine. However, here's a cool difference: in complete pitch darkness, a

typical Night Vision Goggle will NOT work since there is absolutely no light to amplify,

whereas the IR Goggles WILL work since it provides its own illumination!

Now that you know the differences, let me tell you about how well they work. Ridiculously well. Located on the top of the goggles are 3 buttons. One is the ON button, and the other two toggle the view settings. The goggles offer two view types, White/Black, which looks similar to what you would
see in a police chopper video, and classic night vision green. The second switch lets you toggle high intensity and low intensity mode. For longer distances and outside, you switch to high intensity, so that the infrared light being emitted is bright. I have fairly large rooms in my house and even on low intensity settings, I can see everything very well. Outside is a different story since the infrared light gets weaker as distance increases. This is why I have tested out the IR flashlights. With the added illumination from the flashlight, the vision is increased dramatically.

These goggles do not function quite like binoculars do. They do not have lenses for you to see through them directly. They have a flat LCD screen, which displays the image collected by the Infrared camera. Thus, they are not quite as fancy as the typical night vision goggles. This is why they are not $1000-$4000. However, these work GREAT for indoor pranks, outdoor sneaking, etc. Because they emit their own infrared light, they can easily be seen by other infrared-night vision goggles. You will have to spend a lot more money to avoid that.

The goggles take 5 AA batteries, which are housed in a pack in the back of your head. The goggles themselves have very nice adjustable straps, that are built well. Plastic built, but very sturdy, all around design. The rubber around the goggles make them very comfortable and easy to use. Although they look bulky, they feel very light and well balanced while wearing.

They also have adjustments for eye width, and a focus lens. Those of you out there who have glasses should know that it fits glasses with no problem! The screen itself looks like a camcorder screen. It is sort of low in resolution, but is one of those things that you stop noticing once you use it.

These are actually useful for late night snack runs, or
scaring the heck out of your friends or family.

markz said:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/261134049710

Do not ride with those unless you want to die. They are digital, low resolution, active illumination and probably not that reliable. People use the exact same devices I recommend in the OP to operate all manner of machinery in dangerous environments on a nightly basis. Real gen3 is effective and extremely reliable.

^^ Sorry? Now that they issue drivers licenses to the blind (evidently), watts a blind person to do?

^^ But will def. appeal to most of the world... blind to reality... :wink:

You could buy a really nice headlight for that much. And cars would see it.

The only purpose I can think of where night vision would be an advantage would be if you were off road and trying to travel undetected. On the road you WANT to be detected or you become road kill.

I don't recommend using night vision on public roads or you will get the wrong attention. Also, there are too many lights.

I have several types of night vision devices, including thermal, (for other purposes)... I hate even walking with it. I can't imagine trying to ride a bicycle on a mountain trail with it.

RLT said:
I have several types of night vision devices, including thermal, (for other purposes)... I hate even walking with it. I can't imagine trying to ride a bicycle on a mountain trail with it.

You're missing out, and and a solid headmount is a must.

I read an article about these marines driving their Suburbans with night vision goggles and the Suburban has a infrared light bar on the top of the roof that lights everything up for their infrared goggles it looks super awesome maybe we could put a small infrared light on the front of our bikes.

Usually you don't need active illumination. If there are stars, better yet moon, or you live near a populated area with light pollution there will be enough ambient light for the device to work. Also with a IR light you will be hyper-visible on security cameras.

Military doesn't like to use active illumination because it calls out your position to the enemy.

Back