Motor advice for Heavy Trike

doctor_t

10 mW
Goodmorning guys,

I'm starting a new poject and need you advice about witch motor to put on a cargo trike that will weight full loaded around 100 kg

My first thought was about Bafang BBS02 of 500W or 750W but then I didn't understand well if it will be a good idea if i need to start from zero on a climb.
Then i saw other motors but didn't find anything that will make me feel confident in the purchasae

Maybe a direct rear hub with torque sensor can be a good idea?

here some specs
weight of the cargo bike: 50 Kg empty, 100/120 Kg fully load
weight of biker: 80/90 kg
max speed: 20 km/h - I don't need to go fast at all
max climb 10%

what is your advice

I don't want to derail this thread but I have a sun semi recumbent trike that currently has a 500 w dd motor in the 16" front wheel. This worked fine on flat pavement for my 130 pound wife but I am passing it along to a friend who is at least 275 pounds and is not likely to pedal very hard.
I am thinking of putting Q100 or Q128 motors in both of the rear wheels with the two controllers linked to a single throttle.
Has anyone done this? Will there be a control problem if the two motors are not perfectly matched?

This setup works the best among several systems I've tried:
http://www.triketech.com/Drivetrain/PowerAssist/HPV-MAC-V2.html

oldskoolhead said:
are the rear wheels not connected via a shaft?
To be honest, I had not really thought about the axle connecting the two rear wheels.
Are you suggesting a larger motor in one rear wheel or the fact that two rear motors would act in unison because they are connected?

Back to the poster's original question, I wouldn't hesitate to install a Bafang 750W BBS02 on your trike. my experience with the BBS02 includes being able to climb a 20% grade with a 200 pound rider, so close to 300 pounds total weight. For starts on an uphill grade you need to be in your lowest gear and pedal as you carefully apply throttle. Without a throttle it could be a lot harder since you would have to move forward by pedal power alone until the PAS kicked in to help you.

There is an issue with the newest BBS02 systems, addressed here:

https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93977

Rassy said:
Back to the poster's original question, I wouldn't hesitate to install a Bafang 750W BBS02 on your trike. my experience with the BBS02 includes being able to climb a 20% grade with a 200 pound rider, so close to 300 pounds total weight. For starts on an uphill grade you need to be in your lowest gear and pedal as you carefully apply throttle. Without a throttle it could be a lot harder since you would have to move forward by pedal power alone until the PAS kicked in to help you.

There is an issue with the newest BBS02 systems, addressed here:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=93977

that depends if the trike has a standard bottom bracket shell, if not bbshd for wider bb shells would be the only option

Hehe... Best [C]omment so far... Whats the total distance of the ride, and the distance of 10% grade? Maybe question otta be "Battery advice for Heavy Trike" also? :lol: ... and how easy to pedal from starts and "up" hills. Typical topography of "worst case" trip? :wink:

Back