fatbike problems

hi, i had been searching for an electric trike as i have a prosthetic leg and it seemed the better option than being limited to 8mph on a mobility scooter
so i searched everywhere as i wanted a trike that dont look like a granny mobile i wanted disc brakes and i didnt want a recumbent with nothing but a whispy little flag to keep me visible on the road so i ended up buying a jorvik odin electric mountain trike as this was the only bike i could find but the only one they had was the 500w off road model but i figured id be better with a mid drive anyway so ordered it expecting i could just swap it out for a bbs01 or something but when i got it i discovered it has an 83mm bb shell so the bbs01 wont fit.

so then i figured id just have to get a cyclone where id normally buy from eclipse ebikes but they have no stock so i searched and found turbo bike in greace, so i ordered and paid then found they dont actually hold stock they just pass the order to cyclone.tw so i asked when can i expect delivery got no reply wrote several times still no reply and a month passed and no contact from them so i opened paypal case and then they just refunded me, no explanation and cyclone tw arnt accepting paypal it seems so im stuck here

so next i figured id just try and find the 250w version of the hub as there must be one as the bike is sold as 250w also but then i find its not so simple here either as the drop out is 135mm and the wheel is 24" and the only 135mm i can find is the magic pie fat bike hub but this only comes in 26" or bare motor which means dicking about importing the motor then having to get it laced into my 24" rim

i never thought this would be so complicated, it has a 500w bafang hub motor at present but 250w is the legal limit on the roads, its a trike so has 2 rear wheels so a rear hub isnt possible, the bb shell is 83mm so most mid drive options only cater for standard 68mm-73mm and the only one i know of wont take my money lol the front wheel is also non standard being 135mm dropout and 24" fat bike rim

so any ideas/other options i havent found/considered/suggestions? tia

Is that 135mm rear or front?
Fronts are normally always 100mm dropout width, except for fat bikes.
Rears are normally always 135mm dropout width, except for fat bikes.

Odins are fat, that explains it. So your front is probably 135mm and your rears are 135 or 150mm dropout width.
https://jorviktricycles.com/product-category/tricycles/jorvik-odin-fat-tyre/

Do you want a front hub motor?
If so you need a fat front hub motor.

https://lunacycle.com/fat-ebike-kit-1000-watt-waterproof-connectors/
halfway down
Frame Compatibility
Front motor: Axle is a 135mm wide axle which will fit on most bike forks. We highly recommend you use torque arms if installing on front fork. This same motor could also be switched over to a standard bike later if you wish since 135mm is standard for rear on a normal bicycle.

They are outta Cali USA

Odins are
Wheel size : F: 24inch; R: 20inch Tyre: 4.0 kenda tyre

Yescomusa comes quick
https://www.yescomusa.com/search?type=product&q=bicycle+electric

You can always pinch the dropouts in or out a bit, and just see how it goes.

hi, thanks for the replys,
yes the 135mm is the front fork drop out, there is no rear drop out as it is a trike axle with differential and a wheel on each end.
thanks for the supplier suggestion but as ever they dont have a 24" fatbike wheel and the ones they have are 1000w which kinda defeats the point of changing it as i already have a 500w bafang kit on the bike i need a uk street legal 250w kit
thanks

well I don't live in the UK and where I'm at in the United States of America there is no watt limit but a federal mile per hour limit anyways a lot of people don't even know what these things are. people ask me all the time is that electric and I look at them like you can't tell. they don't know what watts are or amp hours if I were you I would just put whatever motor you want on there and run with it. just don't get caught Blowing by a cop. Also I seriously doubt a cop is going to give you a ticket once he sees that you have a prosthetic leg. It is completely up to you though.

Luna could probably lace it into any wheel size you require.
Yescomusa would be buying it, and lacing it into whatever you wanted.

The written law is one thing.
The enforcement of law is a completely other thing.
I have no idea what the UK is like in terms of enforcement. A lot of people seem to be stuck on the wattage aspect when it comes to the law. You must realize that a street Fuzz will have no idea the difference between a 250W, 500W, 1000W, 3000W or 5000W. They wont even look on the motor for any engravings or stickers. Just write you up to meet their quota, then you waste time fighting it and they always reduce the fine.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=96705
While an actual watt is an actual watt, There is NO SUCH THING as a "rated watt" or any standarized method for rating ebike motor power. That's the truth, regardless of what other companies imply. With most electrical devices the term rated power has a very clear meaning. Like a 60 watt lightbulb can be counted on to draw 60 watts of power when it is turned on. A 1500 watt heater will produce 1500 watts of heat, regardless of which brand or model you use.

With electric motors, they do not produce a fixed amount of power when you turn them on. If you run the motor with your wheel off the ground, then it will spin at full speed and produce no power output. As you then load the motor with drag, it will slow down a bit and produce torque, and the more you load it down the more it slows down and the higher the torque and power it puts out. At some point as you continue to load and slow the motor down, then the output power will start to decrease. Even though the torque is still increasing, the lower RPM means that the mechanical power produced goes down. If you stall the motor completely, it might be making a ton of torque but it's producing zero output power.

The problem arises when a 400lb rider with 500lbs of groceries is riding an ebike compared to a crackhead of 100lb going to score a few ounces. There are also no power limits to vehicles which are a trillion times more dangerous. The law makers are ignorant, they are just winging it with no clue.

The take home point is to ride responsibly, be courteous, be safe. Its common sense!

You can look at BMS Battery then for a 250W motor, and see if they sell a fat version for 135mm dropout distance. Otherwise you will have to buy an already laced motor, take the rim off, relace it. Or just buy bare motor, buy rim, buy spokes. You can buy all of that at www.ebikes.ca including custom spokes, 24" rim, you can even get them to lace it for you!

biggy said:
Also I seriously doubt a cop is going to give you a ticket once he sees that you have a prosthetic leg. It is completely up to you though.

That is a great point, so this electric fat trike, is a "Mobility Device" under the law!

oldskoolhead said:
...the bb shell is 83mm so most mid drive options only cater for standard 68mm-73mm and the only one i know of wont take my money....
You might have a look at ES member LR's mid-drive kits. You might contact him directly and explain your situation to see what he can do.

The LightningRod's Two Stage Small Block Mid Drive or Lightning Rods Small Block Mid-Drive are pretty powerful options, but if you were looking at Cyclone, you're already way over your UK limit.

yes the law allows more than 250w for a mobility scooter but there is an 8mph speed limit where a 250w ebike has a 15mph/25kph speed limit hence why i chose the ebike route.
i will check out the other options thanks but any suggestions for a 250w sticker supplier i will also have to consider it seems lol

haha lol thanks for the offer but my hub is a bafang so it has the bafang cast into the hub, the model number is only printed on the paint by the looks of it so a sticker to cover it with genuine bafang credentials might be more appropriate lol
ive messaged a local wheel builder and will see what he says as a magic pie 5 is still an option as is a cyclone if i can find a way to pay for it not involving paypal

"but if you were looking at Cyclone, you're already way over your UK limit"
actually no cyclone is available with 24v 250w internal controller though without a speed limiter it could still exceed 25kph :D

And you think anyone will know the difference between a manufacturers sticker or stamp and one you put on yourself.

Besides that, you could buy a 250W but that exact same motor is a 1000W. The sellers do that in order to get sales from the UK market with their 250W offerings and other countries with 750W or 1000W.

I agree with markz. The limiting factor in a kit usually is the controller and battery. some controllers have a 3-speed connector that you attach a switch to which can limit your speed from slow medium and high. i have one thats 1500 watts but in low it tops out at around 15 mph. and the controller was only labeled with a sticker. if your motor is engraved with the Watts you could always fill it with J-B Weld and paint over it. idk I don't really pay much attention to the laws around where I live I just go Full Throttle all the time everywhere and I'm not stopping for the cops

Back