Are my expectations as a customer just too high?

flat tire

100 kW
This dude / company will remain nameless since I think this whole situation is totally my fault for expecting a square transaction. Value of sale was a little over $600.

Here are my main issues, timeline below. Am I being unreasonable?
1) I have to contact seller for everything. He won't send me updates, even when he should. This is the biggest issue.
2) Pattern of deceit on when the controller will ship, still unresolved.
3) I bought a controller, which already existed here on this continent at the time of sale. It is one month later and I still don't have it.
4) Seller should overnight this to me, but for real that's a pipe dream. Whenever it gets sent, if ever, it will be cheapest USPS.

Timeline:
9/9 —inquiry sent
9/10—order made
9/13--config form finally received
9/14—config form filled out
9/14—told controller will ship out “early this week” (it is Friday)

9/29—ask for shipping update, no response
10/1—ask for shipping update again
10/1—seller responds, blames interbike and controller company for suspending shipments, says he expects controllers in soon
10/4—ask for status
10/4--seller says he has controller, is preparing it. I say, please ship expedited.
10/8—no updates, I ask when the controller will ship
10/8—seller says controller will ship tomorrow, or 10/10 at latest
10/9—shipping label created, but as of 10/15 package is not picked up. Hmm.

10/14 - buyer contacts Paypal and/or credit card company to cancel deal.

The guy has proven unreliable, makes no difference who's fault that it. His problem should not be your problem.
In any case, if the guy can't ship when he says he can, he likely won't be able to support the product if you have an issue.

RUN!!!!

I agree. If you can, try to get your money back and go elsewhere.

The seller has told you they are shipping it soon and didn't, 3 times... Completely unacceptable. That shouldn't even happen once.

Depends what, where and how.

When I buy from China, no matter what they say, I consider myself lucky to receive the package within a month, and only start to worry about it after two months. :wink:

I just received an order that was placed 7 weeks ago, and I still feel lucky everything is complete and in good working condition.

This is a dude here in the usa. Some of you may know him from his youtube channel. I'd like to actually get the controller so I won't void the transaction yet.

The same controller is available from the manufacturer in canada and the price is in CAD but I didn't understand that so it looked more expensive. In reality it's about the same and in the future I will definitely buy from the manufacturer. I have already programmed and configured this brand so I don't need it prepared anyway.

IMO, sometimes things happen, but there is no excuse for a consistent lack of communication and over-promising that clearly violates a customers expectations.

The first week of October was also the "Golden Week" in China. Because of that, a chinese company I ordered from online, notified me in advance that my item wouldn't ship until the week after. I was disappointed, but it was understandable. And they didn't do it multiple times, nor did I have to continuously pester them. :D

Sometimes significant research and testing can take unbounded amounts of time, but even in that case, (IMO) once the previously communicated deadline approaches, it's incumbent on the seller to notify you.

Back