Hub Motor Freewheel Misaligned

420b

100 W
Recently I’ve discovered an issue with my ebike hub motor. The freewheel appears to be out of alignment with the axel. I’ve uploaded a video below to help you understand my issue. From what I understand the metal plate is connected to the freewheel, and it was propably improperly machined. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to solve this?

https://streamable.com/xfo2l

The freewheel mount might be screwed/bolted to the cover and, if you are lucky they only need to be tighten. If you can’ just screw it from the outside, you will have to open the cover on the freewheel side. On the inside of the cover you will find how the freewheel mount is attached to it. Possibly there are screws/nuts and you only need to tighten them, or rivets that you’d have to replace. If the mount is cast one piece with the cover and it is crooked, you might be able to force it straight but it won’t last very long. If the cover has a crack at the mount, there are little chances that it is worth the repair.

Typical for the lowest quality Chinese motor cover machining, but a bit worse than usual perhaps. Ignore it. Might get better with a different freewheel, but not much.

dogman dan said:
Typical for the lowest quality Chinese motor cover machining, but a bit worse than usual perhaps. Ignore it. Might get better with a different freewheel, but not much.

Yeah that’s a bummer. I’d imagine I’m losing some amount of efficiency due to this, but it’s probably not too much to worry about. The thing that worries me is how the whole bike starts shaking when I go full throttle while it’s upside down.

Thats usually more due to out of balance rear wheels.... the slight wobble of the freewheel shouldn't be throwing the bike around.

Voltron said:
Thats usually more due to out of balance rear wheels.... the slight wobble of the freewheel shouldn't be throwing the bike around.

Well the whole plate with the freewheel is out of alignment, which probably also throws the wheel off. I’ve done what I can to correct the rim using the spokes, but I guess the wheel is probably still out of alignment.

Sorry... just watched the vid. Looks like the magnet ring is running pretty true, and the wobble isn't much worse than lots of cheap regular back wheels. The freewheel itself is prob fine which is part of the problem, where putting a new one on won't change things much. Its because the little stub sticking out that it screws onto was put in the jig a little crooked that it wobbles.

Back