Broken E-Bike in SF - Good Buy?

420b

100 W
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/d/genze-e102-electric-bike/6726880711.html

Found a listing nearby for a Genze e102 Electric Bike that is malfunctioning. They seem to be selling it for fairly cheap at $280. It could be a major PITA if the issue isn’t easy to fix. What do you guys think?

It would be easier if you knew what error code (10) does refer to. Otherwise you need to diagnose it yourself. Could be as simple as a bad connection, or as expansive as to require an new battery. There is no way to inow, but going there with your multimeter and diagnose the problem.

Sounds like a great deal to me. Throw a controller on it, maybe another throttle that matches the controller.. and enjoy

Great stuff guys; I appreciate your comments! I think I’ll go ahead and message the seller and go check it out this week, if it’s not already gone.

fechter said:
Here is the user manual:
https://www.genze.com/wp-content/up...27s-Manual-Reader-Spread_18APR2017-mob....pdf

It did not have a list of error codes but did have a 800 phone number to call for tech assistance. I would call it and ask them. To me it sounds like a sensor lost it's signal.
Good call fechter. Seems support is down on the weekend so I did a little more digging and found this email: customerservice@genze.com. We will see if I can get any help on error code 10.

Yeah maybe not... The support system seems to be very locked down. They asked me to either go to a dealer or register my bike online. I think it’s still worth a shot though, but support won’t be any help.

What jerks...

You might try SF wheels. Local dealer.
842 A Cole Street, San Francisco, California 94117

(415) 731-6265

Hours: M-F 10:30am-6:30pm & Sat-Sun 11am-5pm

You could always replace the controller but you may not get a good PAS function. Throttle will be fine.

Don't give up. Keep harassing the manufacturer. Tell them that your lawyer advised you that there are laws requiring manufactures to supply service manuals for the products they sell.

See right to repair

If all else fails. Send a email to the genze.com with your lawyers name as a Cc: If you don't want to bother a real lawyer? fakename@gmail.com looks like a lawyers email address to me :wink:

Do girls answer emails at genze.com? If all else fails and you used to be a boy? Change your sex and start a new email battle with genze.com Assume a new identity girlname@gmail.com can be effective when dealing with women.

Wondering what this is?
https://www.genze.com/faq/title-of-article-3-our-e-scooters/
Support

Does the connected app provide service/diagnostics remotely?

Yes, your Mobile App will run a diagnostic scan of your e-Scooter and report any issues found. It will also indicate the severity of the issue and direct you to call GenZe service if required.

marty said:
Wondering what this is?
https://www.genze.com/faq/title-of-article-3-our-e-scooters/
Support

I think that only applies to the fleet scooters. There are hundreds of their scooters around SF. They actually look pretty good.

Even if you can't get them to tell you what the code means, there's a good chance you can find the problem by reverse engineering things a bit. If all else fails, replace the controller.

Its a good buy at fifty bucks, what you'd pay for a motor in a wheel. Likely the motor is good or fairly easily fixable, the rest should be priced at scrap value.

New battery,, hmmm. That might be worth the 280, but new could still stink. Error 10 might be battery. :roll:

dogman dan said:
Its a good buy at fifty bucks, what you'd pay for a motor in a wheel. Likely the motor is good or fairly easily fixable, the rest should be priced at scrap value.

New battery,, hmmm. That might be worth the 280, but new could still stink. Error 10 might be battery. :roll:

After some consideration I do agree with you. It’s supposedly a 300Wh (36V ~8Ah)battery, but since the old one is dead and he got a new one, who knows. Also, if I were to replace the controller I’d lack the torque pedal assist that this thing offers.

Back