Desperately trying to repair a BionX P 350 RX

warpzero

1 µW
I have a BionX P 350 RX that is completely messed up and, with the bankruptcy of BionX, it's nearly impossible to find a dealer who will help me fix this, and the dealers close to me have stopped supporting BionX completely. So, given that I'm very technical, I'm trying to fix it myself, but I know nothing about BionX.

Here's the issue:

On a fresh charge of the battery, the BionX system will work, but only briefly. After anywhere from 2-5 minutes, it will get itself into one of two states:
  1. the RC3 controller will function, but the system will turn itself off and on constantly, every 1-3 seconds. This will go on for hours (if I let it). In the brief seconds that it is on, the RC3 buttons will respond fine, and the system will work (for a second), or:
  2. the RC3 controller will be stuck "on". None of the buttons will work (even power), so I cannot turn off the system. The electric assist will not work (probably because the +/- buttons on the RC3 do not function, so I can't get it out of "N") however, the throttle button will work, as will regenerative breaking. In this "mode" I can at least use the throttle, but that's it, and the system cannot be turned off (without pulling the battery).

I should note that the battery unit (rack mount) was replaced recently, right before the dealer stopped supporting BionX. Is it possible that the new battery unit is incompatible with the RC3? Also, I've noticed that in state #1 (constant reboot loop) that if I unplug the RC3, it stops the on/off loop. Maybe replacing the RC3 would do it?

So, based on the above, does anybody have any idea of what steps I should take to debug this or fix this issue? Or do you know of a forum that's better suited to BionX hacking & repair?

Back