8FUN Motor. Controller To Source. Help Needed.

Axxl

1 µW
Hi all,

I'm glad to have the opportunity to meet this huge knowledge database here.
I'm reading already for two hours (and found many other interesting topics), but still unable to find "my topic" yet.
I would like to ask for a help for an 8FUN motor I've been provided with.
It comes about the controller I have to use for it.
I have few other questions in mind too.

But let start with the description and data first.

It's laced in a 28" (700C) wheel and has the designation: SWXK36V250W185K, followed by: 1301270034.
It's a bare wheel only, with no other accessories.
Motor has 9-pin connector (male) with three of them bigger/thicker and the rest of six - thinner/smaller.

What I would need to ask is:
1. Kind of (cheaper) controller that is able to work with;
2. Eventual availability of a head(+tail) lights connector on this controller;
3. Option to use the hall sensors, but also to go without them too.
4. Scheme/diagram of this 9-pin connector, as the cable is too short and it must be made longer.
5. I'm unclear also whether this motor can be used with a throttle or with a PAS. Any experience ? I prefer to make it able to go with throttle, say on the left hand side. (Which throttle I need?)
6. Battery should be a 10S3P or 4P, with Panasonic 18650PF cells, but it's still in project. I'm looking for a BMS for it too. I plan to use the VRUZEND kit for assembly, which requires no soldering. Any advice here will be also appreciated.

TNX for your input !
:)

PS. If I'm in the wrong topic, let a Mod to move the post, please.

These cables might help you. This first one is two parts. You splice the part with the female plug to a controller that doesn't use the 9 pin connector and the other part is not used. These should use the same color code as Bafang. Splice like to like.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-pair-of-9Pin-Extended-Cable-Connector-Waterproof-Male-Female-For-Ebike1-9meter/263851240417?hash=item3d6ec26be1:g:eI8AAOSwQ~ha7G9k:rk:3:pf:0

The second is an extension you could use between the motor and a controller that already has a female 9 pin connector, but it will be on the long side.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Ebike-Parts-Electric-Bike-9pins-Motor-Waterproof-Extend-Cable-Connector/142749486364?hash=item213c884d1c:rk:1:pf:0

The 9 pin plug fits thru the hole of the 14mm axle nuts and washers used to secure the motor. That would allow you to more eaily remove the wheel for maintenance. You could cut off the 9 pin plug and splice on arbitrary wires, but that may make wheel removal more complicated depending on how you handle the connectors.

The motor doesn't know about throttle or PAS. Those functions, including lights, are in the controller. Your SWXK probably uses Hall sensors, but you should verify by checking for continuity on the six small pins. At best, you will have power, ground, three Hall outputs and one speed sensor output. You may not have the speed sensor. You may not have Halls. I don't have the pinout handy.

You can run most motors on a sensorless controller, but a sensored motor requires a controller with sensors. There might be a controller that can run both types, but probably expensive. Given that it's a 250W motor, all you need is a little 36V controller, 10A-20A. They're cheap unless you want the LCD display.

Hi all again,
Apologize for delayed answer, was travelling a bit.

MANY THANKS to docw009 !
Your replies give me the most of the important part in order to go onwards with this project !
THANK YOU ! :D :bigthumb:

I will order what you advised, yes. It will take some weeks to arrive, though.
I would prefer to order the first model of two recommended, just under the general assumption it has more usable applications.
What I succeed to test in an hour since my return is that the motor reacts with a little "trembling" when standard (not by a controller, but by a car battery x3) voltage to three bigger pins is applied. There is not a full rotation, just a trembling.
Means it is alive. But who knows about the smaller pins...
It seems I have to follow your advice for testing them too.

As per controller: I just asked a friend to lend me one just for testing.
It is like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V-48V-350W-E-Bike-Electric-Bike-E-Scooter-Fahrrad-Motor-Brushless-Controller-/272861549881?hash=item3f87d0d539
What you think, is there any problem with this controller ?
It is advertised as for: "...with or without hall sensors.."
Going further, shall this controller be able to not use the hall sensors, and to use a throttle in the mean time ?
The main challenge here will be to connect the wires in the right way, though (as a 9-pin diagram is not available).
There is no colour codes neither on the motor, nor on the controller..
And Yes, I don't need any display.

I would like to use a throttle like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V-Electric-Bicycle-Thumb-Throttle-W-E-Bike-Battery-Capacity-LEDs-6-Wires-/372496528627?hash=item56ba85f4f3
What you think, shall this fit, despite the fact it has more wires, as for the indication added..

Back