Converting GT Avalanche 2.0 (front shocks, etc)

Jonny333

1 W
Hi guys. I bought this bike at a big discount when it first came out a few years ago, but had a lot of problems with it so I ended up putting it in storage. At this point everything is working well, except I think the crank case may be gumming up a bit. Everything is almost like new, so it’s a shame not to use it. I do mostly street riding, So with the front shocks and design, I just wasn’t enjoying it much. These electric conversion kits got me thinking the upgrade it. Would be much easier to ride, and a fun spare bike. Cheaper is better. Which system would you recommend to use? Iiuc, The giant pancake hub motors are the cheapest option. Not sure if front mount would be advisable on shocks? There’s a bit of wobble and play in the front wheel because of this, even when they are locked out. This model also has oil line disc brakes.
Thank you!

Don't put a front motor on a suspension fork unless its from Grin (ebikesca, all axle). A simple direct drive rear system (YESCOM or equivalent) would be adequate (with at least one torque arm since the frame is aluminum). Since you'll be traveling much faster I would get the front end problem sorted out (sounds like the wheel needs to be trued).

Cheers. It’s just been sitting in storage almost new, so a shame not to do something with it. I was appalled though at how many things went wrong and needed fixing shortly after buying it. It’s working ok now. The front shocks are just cheap SunTour, so they naturally have some flex and play, which causes the front wheel to move. Previously I had a rock hopper with no suspension. Since then I’ve been using solid steel bikes, which are the norm here in japan.
While it would be nice to have the gear options of a mid drive system, I don’t truster the GT drivetrain to hold up long before it needs work. I don’t want to put much more resources into this bike. It’s just for a fun spare bike
. I’m thinking your idea of a direct drive back hub would be the best option. I imagine with this set up, you could even use it with no chain or peddling at all?

You could, but then have no back-up system if the motor has a problem. I reside in CA and have received some second looks from the police, but just keep pedaling and haven't been stopped (the bike has a top speed of 33+ mph and throttle which are out of the "Class 1, 2 or 3 ranges for "ebikes" here).

Back