Buying a bike helmet for my son

blora

1 µW
Hello
I would like to buy a bike helmet for my son. I'm a little worried about the comfort of sitting, so I'd like to know your experience, which helmets are nicely flat at the back so that a child can lean on as much as possible.
I like this Uvex Kid helmet (<Outside link to Uvex Kid 1 helmet removed by moderator>) because it has done quite well - does anyone has this helmet?
In the bike shops I found the selection unfortunately very modest so I wanted to ask here for some advice. Which bike helmet would you recommend for kids?

I can't help you with selection, but I can point out that children's heads are almost as big as adult heads, and a small adult helmet might fit just fine. There are specialty auto racing helmets with flat backs.

Approximately none of us here grew up with helmets being a thing, and yet we grew up nonetheless. Perhaps reevaluate your assumptions?

Skateboard helmets also protect the back of the head much more from a rearward fall compared to many bike helmets.
Personally if I'm going 30mph then I'm using something with face protection which covers the back of my head such as a lightweight dirt bike helmet.

For my kids (years ago) and my grandkids now, I have allowed them to select their own helmet (rather than gift them one they may not like). Having them pick it out seems to make it more likely they will wear it when I am not around.

They all seemed to like skateboarding helmets, and my grand-daughter selected a pink one with ponies on it. Random pic from the web below

$_86.JPG

blora said:
In the bike shops I found the selection unfortunately very modest so I wanted to ask here for some advice. Which bike helmet would you recommend for kids?

The one the kid likes and will therefore wear. There are tons of kids helmets at Walmart, Target, etc. They all meet the same basic safety standards and are made by reputable companies. Most have nicer systems for customizing fit than they did many years ago.

Like Chalo, I survived numerous falls in my childhood without a helmet to protect my head. But a schoolmate's younger brother didn't fair so well when hit crossing 35th avenue. He spent a long time in the hospital and the head injury messed up his vision. I also had one bad "endo" where it seems likely that the helmet I was wearing kept me out of the hospital - though I probably still suffered a concussion.

The benefits of helmets are frequently debated. My current working conclusion from reading a lot on it is that wearing them is generally a good idea for those riding a lot at moderately high speeds (near 20 mph and faster). But the benefits of wearing them are generally exaggerated - especially when riding at "neighborhood" speeds. The whole topic seems to be looked at very non-objectively and with a poor accounting for actual risks. I could probably make a better argument for wearing specially constructed car helmets (or even a bicycle helmet) while riding in a car. Doing that probably makes more sense than wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle.

While I'm at it, I should add mandating the wearing of helmets is generally a bad idea in that it reduces ridership and probably ends up doing more net harm than good.

I agree that kids can wear a small women helmet. Mtb racing helmets offer light weight, adjustability, and good protection. Forget about big names, for their racing helmets are very expansive. For kids, you can buy a Chinese women MTB helmet, that are pretty similar in style and construction for a fraction of the cost.

That kind, many colors available

UTB8B69UE4HEXKJk43Jeq6yeeXXal.jpg_220x220.jpg

I suggest that you include, in your search , MIPS technology : https://www.giro.com/us_en/mips/

Back