GT Avalanche Comp 29 - Which Motor

cafu02

10 mW
Hello All
I have a 2018 GT Avalanche Comp 29er bike that I'm looking to convert.
I'm not sure which Kit to go with hower
My options right now are

Bafang BBSHD
Bafang BBS02B
Tongsheng TSDZ2

The bike will be used mainly for commuting to and from work which is about a 45km round trip.
Which would be the better Motor to go with
Thanks in advance.

I will let you get answers from those who are doing that kind of commuting with BB drives.

Most of us building commuters are using hub motors, for maintenance and reliability reasons.

Yeah, if you can avoid a mid drive ( IE you have mostly flat terrain ), i'd get a hub as well.
More efficient, less expensive, less stuff to break, and more moddability..

But if you are climbing mega hills regularly, then a hub might be more expensive and less reliable because it will likely melt on a mega mountain.

The right choice is up to the speed you want to travel at, and on what kind of grades.

So we need more info.

E-HP said:
Terrain and desired speed might be considerations with respect to folks providing recommendations.

Hey
The Terrain will mostly be Asphalt roads and trails, not too much steep hills.
The speed limit here in Canada i believe is 32Km, would like to stay with in that
Thanks

MadRhino said:
I will let you get answers from those who are doing that kind of commuting with BB drives.

Most of us building commuters are using hub motors, for maintenance and reliability reasons.

I had a Hub motor setting previously from Golden Motor, I really didn't like how it was. it was throttle only. I mostly want something with PAS. Also I went with a rear rack battery witch make the back off the bike supper heavy.

If i go with a Hub More, would also select a different battery option
Any recommendations?

neptronix said:
Yeah, if you can avoid a mid drive ( IE you have mostly flat terrain ), i'd get a hub as well.
More efficient, less expensive, less stuff to break, and more moddability..

But if you are climbing mega hills regularly, then a hub might be more expensive and less reliable because it will likely melt on a mega mountain.

The right choice is up to the speed you want to travel at, and on what kind of grades.

So we need more info.

Ok
Terrain will mostly likely be flat pave roads and trails, may a few small hills along the way.
The speed limit for E-bike here is Canada is 32KM
Regular round trip will be around 45km, 3-4 days a week.
Will like to use PAS more than a throttle

Anything else you would like to know?

cafu02 said:
MadRhino said:

I had a Hub motor setting previously from Golden Motor, I really didn't like how it was. it was throttle only. I mostly want something with PAS. Also I went with a rear rack battery witch make the back off the bike supper heavy.

Any recommendations?

Well, most controllers can read PAS. A hub build does require some work on battery placement to make proper balance. For the power that is required for a PAS system, you don’t need a big hub.

My bikes are throttle only, the kind of speed and power that may be considered as light weight motorcycles. So, PAS is not an option for me. Batteries to supply high power are also limited in choice of chemistry, mostly RC lipo. I place them on the front, to balance the bike handling.

We are many now in Montreal, riding powerful commuters. They are well accepted by the police, as long as we avoid the bike lanes and respect the trafic laws. In 10 years I was fined only once, for helmet.

MadRhino said:
cafu02 said:
MadRhino said:

Any recommendations?

Well, most controllers can read PAS. A hub build does require some work on battery placement to make proper balance. For the power that is required for a PAS system, you don’t need a big hub.

My bikes are throttle only, the kind of speed and power that may be considered as light weight motorcycles. So, PAS is not an option for me. Batteries to supply high power are also limited in choice of chemistry, mostly RC lipo. I place them on the front, to balance the bike handling.

We are many now in Montreal, riding powerful commuters. They are well accepted by the police, as long as we avoid the bike lanes and respect the trafic laws. In 10 years I was fined only once, for helmet.

Thanks for the info
I saw a few video of others using both the Bafang BBS02B and Tongsheng TSDZ2 as daily riders . I thought these motors were very reliable. The plan was to use one of them with a 14V/13MAh battery, which seems to keep the bike pretty balance and stable.

I'm open to others suggestions as well

That bike has a huge triangle for a triangle battery bag. I use hub motors so can't say how reliable as the midrives are I do have a bosch mechanic certificate. It was a 3 hour hands on lecture. Then the shop call my down to help install the go fast dongle. Just plug it in ? yes the only plugs that match. Don't be scarred. But yes both bike shops have to know how to fix as there are many that are apart on the bench of the bafang middrives some have funcky controllers. Just read up on them as some years and models have problems. I just blow hall sensors or melt the hub motors. 3,000 to 7,000 watts. I think I have solved that problem for today.

Yea with 29in. Your best bet is a middrive. Canada is Luna cycle USA . Your home boy Justin at www.ebikesca.com . He is are leader and soul. Or em3ev from china ? Or ?
52v you know.
If from Luna you have the China terifi .Oh oh You guys are on. China's shit list. Dam . Did you vote for dump ?

I have a 29 and love it. I have a 1000w hub motor a lyen controller, a Cycle analyst with a 48 volt 20 amp Calibike triangle battery and the bike has 21 speed I use only top gear. We have no hills and only a few bridges and never have any problems. Had it for more than 4 years now and ride about 2,000 miles a year. A lot of beach rides and around town.

Back