Fat Mans Seat ?

markz

100 TW
3 seats
#1 is a good seat, steel base, steel loops, steel plate rails, 1/2" of movement stock 3" or 3.5" springs.
#2 is shitty, plastic base, steel loops, steel plate rails, 1/2" smaller rings then #1, Metal loop broke after 2 days.
#3 is the red one, plastic base, unsure about the rest, dont matter, waste of time and $5, maybe lasted a month of babying it.

Yes all three have different sizes, seem to be off 1/2".
Also require a handle attached to seat post.

Problems arise when moving the heavy ebike around, springs come loosened.

Latest fix, used #1 with 1/2" longer springs, should last a bit until I figure out what to do. Like not move bike around by seat.

Seats and me never last. All steel is good.

Seat Cushioning
C$100 Suntour SP12-NCX Mountain Road Bike Suspension Travel Seatpost 31.6mm x 400
^^^ yeah I can save my dimes for that

Dinky - https://www.amazon.ca/M-Wave-Alloy-Bicycle-Suspension-25-4mm/dp/B001V5A2M4?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc12-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001V5A2M4

2 large - Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Long Travel Seatpost, 30.9 (Black)
^^^Too rich for me

The issues is, I want my rides to look fugly.

[url=https://www.amazon.ca/XLC-Suspension-Alloy-Seatpost/dp/B01ND0D14Y?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc12-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01ND0D14Y]
C$110 -XLC Suspension Alloy Seatpost by XLC

Goal is FS fat, one thing at a time though.

Will two rear suspension coils be good cushioning for the seat on a custom fab? Aside from FS.
Going to dust off the welder and add beef
Any good idea's out there?
Seat Post idea's
A good fat persons seat, though I say my fats stretched out on a 6'5" frame :wink:

From this
View attachment 2

To this, good for a while I hope!
ready to go again!.jpg

My idea. Two steel plates, sandwich two coils from rear suspension bikes. Flat steel plate up to the pivot, which holds the coil spring in but will see if it rubs. Them RS springs are quite long, 3-1/2" or maybe even 4" I will have to check that out, dont wanna shorten them. Forums say 500+ RS spring for heavyweights, so two 350's or 400's. Extend the bolt out with the elongated nut with new rod. That long nut will do double duty, as the stock setup also has a lower bolt. Will see what comes of it, I have one coil off RS, want two same, not lots of used supply out there.

I know this well. Finding a seat that will support my ample posterior is also difficult.

Currently using this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D22CDBB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fairly soft but it still sits too far forward when adjusted to it's limit. We'll see how it holds up this summer when I'm riding more regularly.

Mrakz,

I use this seat (linked below) on my road bike, together with the custom clamp (on the same page) that adapts the parallel bars to the seatpost.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobson-Easys...1544769648&sr=1-1&keywords=Hobson+Easyseat+II

Each side of the seat pivots independently, which was like a revelation to me. Separation space between the pads can be adjusted to fit you better. It takes a (serious!) week or so to get accustomed to this unique seat design, because your bottom will not quite know what is going on, at first. Once you get it going, though, I doubt that you would accept anything less. Any seats that you have now will probably be out the door, soon.

This perch is not the only unique seat design, like this. Check out some other (similar) designs, as well.

I use cheap saddles, because the saddle does suffer damages at every crash, everytime I turn the bike upside down for maintenance, everytime I have something in my pocket, and everytime I park it by a post or a tree. I replace them pretty often, more often than grips. I have found the style and size that is comfortable for me. I buy the cheap ones that are a match.

I have had expansive saddles before, but they never last to make them worth the cost, not on ebikes.

Saddles with coil springs rarely work for me. The ones with conical compression/extension springs never do-- the springs always find a way to pop through their supporting frame, and repositioning them becomes a routine chore. Also, the spring support plate and/or the saddle rails themselves usually become bent over time.

Similar saddles with elastomer springs work much better for me. My long term favorites include the Cloud 9 Cruiser Select Airflow ES and the Electra Cruiser saddle with elastomers. The Electra saddle is firm but supportively shaped. The Cloud 9 is soft and squishy but has a center slot, so the softness doesn't result in circulation problems. Lately, whenever I try another kind of saddle, I wish I had gotten one of these two instead. There are bigger versions of both these seats, but I find that going bigger than this doesn't help.

I generally have to clamp saddles in the middle of their adjustment range or forward of that point, to minimize leverage on the rails and avoid bending.

Avoid noseless saddles like Easy Seat, Ergo The Seat, Spongy Wonder, etc. The saddle nose is there for a reason; like your handlebar grips and pedal treads, it's one of the interfaces by which you maintain control of the bike. I don't find such saddles comfortable, but even if you do, they handicap your ability to manage the bike.

What. Chalk said or the widest English leather saddle. $30 or $200.

tomjasz said:

Yes, there is the Brooks B190. I own two of its predecessor, the B90/3. It's surprisingly heavy, noisy, and expensive as hell. But man it's a nice saddle.

b190_black_view_brooks_england.png

Chalo said:
tomjasz said:

Yes, there is the Brooks B190. I own two of its predecessor, the B90/3. It's surprisingly heavy, noisy, and expensive as hell. But man it's a nice saddle.

b190_black_view_brooks_england.png
Those who made it were riding hard bikes on cobblestones, and they were much closer to the horse and carriage era than modern transportation. :wink:

Good for a retro style bike that you want to retain the looks. For practicality and comfort, there are a lot of better choices out there at a fraction of the cost.

MadRhino said:
Good for a retro style bike that you want to retain the looks. For practicality and comfort, there are a lot of better choices out there at a fraction of the cost.

Apparently, not all butts feel the same. I own cloud 9 and a couple of high-end gel seats. I am most comfortable on this leather. I grew up, 50 years ago on Brooke's seats. This one, once leather is somewhat broken in, is like riding on clouds. No rear suspension on my bike but with overdoing the seat with an NCX spring post...well I FINALLY have a seat I can sit on for two hours.
As always YMMV!

tomjasz said:
MadRhino said:

Apparently, not all butts feel the same. I own cloud 9 and a couple of high-end gel seats. I am most comfortable on this leather. I grew up, 50 years ago on Brooke's seats. This one, once leather is somewhat broken in, is like riding on clouds. No rear suspension on my bike but with overdoing the seat with an NCX spring post...well I FINALLY have a seat I can sit on for two hours.
As always YMMV!

Yes of course, every bum has its own preference. :mrgreen:

I am old enough to have experienced the old leather saddles on bikes. Those similar at least, thick leather on wire frame and huge springs. My first memory of them is they stay wet for the rest of the week after a rainy day. They take a year to shape to your bones and soften a bit. They bite your fingers when you move the bike holding it by the saddle. They rust and scratch and they are ugly after a few years, but they last half a century if you don’t mind. :D

MadRhino said:
tomjasz said:
MadRhino said:

As always YMMV!

Yes of course, every bum has its own preference. :mrgreen:

I am old enough to have experienced the old leather saddles on bikes. Those similar at least, thick leather on wire frame and huge springs. My first memory of them is they stay wet for the rest of the week after a rainy day. They take a year to shape to your bones and soften a bit. They bite your fingers when you move the bike holding it by the saddle. They rust and scratch and they are ugly after a few years, but they last half a century if you don’t mind. :D
Covered the same as any seat
Gloves
If properly treated, a couple of months
Nothing kept clean and Bioshield treated rusts

You paint a terrifying picture, ALMOST true! <grin>

Back