Need help picking ebike for 60-something Dad

Have been doing a bunch of research and I’m overwhelmed.
Dad is just looking to get in some exercise on the nearby trails. He is late 60’s and not in great shape, 5’9’’, ~200 lbs. Bike needs to be comfortable and reliable. I’ve been checking out the following two, but there must be something cheaper that would work for him? I don’t want something that’s going to break in a year, or require him to run to the bike shop often to help him out. Any ideas? Cheap crap bikes seem to be $500 and quality seems to start at $2k?
*Raleigh Tokul iE eMTB, last years for $2500.
*M2S All Terrain Kush Full Suspension Fat E-Bike w/ Max mid drive, costs $2200 shipped.

Max speed: 20mph probably. Doesn’t need to be crazy fast.
Max distance: not much.
Wheel size: anything
Rider weight: probably 200
Terrain: mostly rolling hills but It would be good for him to get in some climbing. All Southern California small hiking trails, fire roads, etc.
Budget: 2500 or less. Less would be great, especially since he won’t be beating up the bikes.

With all you describe, ( I am also the same age group ) with age and terrain and If he is not willing to be constantly working on the bike ( DIY ) , then ... I would get him a Commercial E-Bike

I would , Not , get him that Raleigh or Kush , I would not ride either of those my self, that should tell you all you need to know. Too long to go into all the details.

The Better Brands for the last couple of years are the Haibike
And
Specialized ,
Specialized has the new Turbo Levo, that is the bike I would get ,
they are around
$3K on up to $10 K in price .
Since there is a new model for 2019 , the Bike Shops that sell Specialized have the 2018's on a discount . So now you can get one for a bit above the $ 2,500 mark.
Cube has good specs for the price, although would not have all the technology that Specialized E-Bikes have for the last 2 years.

The best place to find reviews on Mountain E-Bikes is on youtube.
Rob makes the best E-Mountain Bike Review Video's ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9SayOoPB-4
This is just one, you can view many of his videos on his channel .

EBR is more like promo videos, no where near as good as Rob's .

The specialized turbo levo is the must have emtb at the moment for sure. The new 2019 model has had a big overhaul and redesign from previous versions, so it maybe worth paying a little extra and getting this model rather than the 2018. Just buy the cheapest version and upgrade later if ever needed or bothered.

If your dad moans that his lower back aches just buy him a handle bar 'stem extension' which will make the handle bars higher so he's bending forward less. This is a a problem with all mtbs these days especially for us older riders. :)

Thanks so much for the help. The price difference between Specialized and Haibike is pretty big, but you mentioned both might work. Would any of the cheaper Haibikes be a good option?
https://www.wheelworld.com/product-list/haibike-e-bikes-pg298/

I have the 2017 SDURO and the Yamaha motor works perfectly for me, although some purists may point out minor deficiencies that I don't recognize. Your dad might benefit from full suspension, but if not, that $1700 bike would more than suffice.

HaiBike has a good reputation, many e- bikes that are 2017 and 2018 models are good and I am sure your dad would love it. Rob Rides EMTB is a good source for finding out what brands are better.
Remember if you get a hard tail, add the cost of a suspension seatpost, a good one like the Thudbuster ST or for more rough riding the LT.

But if you can get a Specialized for a discounted price you would get full suspension and better battery placement , and some other items . Even though everyone is raving about the newer and improved 2019 Turbo Levo, the 2018 was so advanced compaired to other bikes that your Dad would be more than happy with its performance.

If you want bargain basement prices, go with Currie Ezip Trailz, they sell for under $500 with one lead acid battery. Not much range though. Also don't curb hop etc, you'll trash the rims. They have a Lithium ion version, more $ but lighter and you'll get 10x the life or more out of the battery. (recharges) I use a trailz
with a memory foam horn less seat, and have changed the handle bars out for bmx bars with shimms for more upright riding position. Stock lead battery expect 6miles or so with zero pedal in moderate hills. (and bike weight of 65lbs)

Might want to check out rad power bikes. They have several models under 2ooo. Good luck in your search.

Back