Arizona Legislature new e-bike/trails for 2019 Jan 1

waynebergman

100 kW
https://www.azleg.gov/viewdocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/ars/28/00819.htm A freind just pass this info on to me. Also here https://bikerumor.com/2019/01/04/friday-roundup-az-trails-open-to-e-bikes-deals-more/ is someones take on it all. Not really sure if this is anything of importance as "Local Authorities" can still have their own rules so you can bet places like Sedona will be hold outs.......wayne

The law has been in effect since last August, not since the first of the year as reported in the article. Also, it is unclear to me if off-road trails are defined as "multiuse paths" or not.

Interesting "wturber". So basicaly nothing new then as far as how Arizona will treat ebikes for off road. I notice in your Profile that you are in Fountain Hills. I am in Mesa right now for a bit and have found some very amazing trails that are ebike freindly. Not sure if you have rode the "Wild Horse Trail", the "High Horse Trail" and the new trail off of the Wild Horse called "Scorpion". Some of the nicest single track in the area here and you often see the Wild Horses in the area as well(open to ebikes).HIgh Horse is the best! Wturber can you tell me please about ebiking in your Fountain HIlls area? I have heard the single track up your way is nice but unfortunatly closed to ebikes, is that correct?..........wayne

Well, the law is new, just not as new as the article says. And I'm just not sure about the trail access. It just isn't clear. I suggest either checking signs, or local park authorities. Either that, or just use the trails until someone says otherwise. You can trot out the law and at least give the impression that you've made a good faith effort to be law abiding.

I 've walked many trails in McDowell Mountain Park doing bird photography (http://www.jayandwanda.com/birds/birds.html). But I've never really biked through there. The one time I did it was on my road bike and I used the paved roads not the trails. I then hiked to the park's perimeter and climbed a barbed wire fence. I was looking to see if I could find a good path to Dynamite road and avoid having to ride through Rio Verde.

Anyway, McDowell Mountain Park has lots of nice multi-use trails. And I don't recall ever seeing anything like park ranger patrolling. So as long as you don't ride like a maniac, you should be OK. Beyond that, I just don't know. I'm mostly a road rider and use my ebike to commute from Fountain Hills to Scottsdale Airpark area.

Just as Thurber says "just use the trails until someone says otherwise. You can trot out the law and at least give the impression that you've made a good faith effort to be law abiding." And be a courteous rider. Your actions will benifit the next ebiker and all who follow. If we can all act like grown ups on the trails it is more likely that we will be able to continue to use them.

Glad to see other local Ebikers! I am in Rio Verde and I just built a pair of Ebikes for my wife and myself. I have not ridden in the park yet - was not sure what the restrictions on Ebikes might be. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a little before I get in a lot of riding. I hope things move in the direction of allowing Ebikes on more off road trails as I prefer off road riding. I spend my summers in Colorado and many of the good mountain bike trails do not allow Ebikes on them.

Seems to apply to new bikes as far as labels, IMO it's reasonable as the classes and where they can be ridden. A class 3 bike on a trail with non powered bikes and such? Hell no! Flash backs of the lycra mob on their 29'ers passing me w/o bell or voice announcement on the trails around Pittsburgh. Calling them rude is being nice! Imagine a 125-250cc dirt bike but silent running you down / passing
just because he's got 20x the power you do?

n3glv said:
Seems to apply to new bikes as far as labels, IMO it's reasonable as the classes and where they can be ridden. A class 3 bike on a trail with non powered bikes and such? Hell no! Flash backs of the lycra mob on their 29'ers passing me w/o bell or voice announcement on the trails around Pittsburgh. Calling them rude is being nice! Imagine a 125-250cc dirt bike but silent running you down / passing
just because he's got 20x the power you do?

A class 3 ebike is nowhere near the horsepower of a 125 cc motorcycle that has about 10 hp available. A class 3 is limited to 750 watts or one horsepower. So that rider has 2-3 times the power of an unaided cyclist but is also carrying more weight.

As your example of the "lycra mob" suggests, how you ride is probably a much bigger issue than whether you have a 750 watt motor on your bike or not.

Utah has posted speed limits on their "multi-use paths" and doesn't seem to enforce wattage; 20mph I think.

What's it like in Phoenix now with the scooter thing? I haven't been to Phoenix in a few years and last time I was there were scads of scooters everywhere. It seems that you can cell-phone app rent an e-scooter and get around the metro area.

CA has the "Class" laws too, but they pertain to bike paths (and even some of them have signs prohibiting e-bikes). In Orange County the superintendent has ruled that all e-bikes are prohibited on county trails. Like most places, very little enforcement except at one local park that is so crowded e-MTB's shouldn't be there anyway (IMO).

Hehe... Classic ES Style... Thread about Arizona wandering into CA and Utah... :)

Re Arizona... Postings about Arizona in the thread More E-bikes found in NON-ebike media:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57933

(W/to date 7234 posts...)

Search found 47 matches: arizona

Including three from 2016...
13 from 2017...
29 from 2018...

... so seems to me the news about ebikes in Arizona is getting bigger... and bigger... and bigger...

:mrgreen:

... though I'm told I've been "posting too much" and the thread got transferred to a group on Facebook where I'm not being pestered... so far. :roll:

ps... :lol:

parajared said:
Utah has posted speed limits on their "multi-use paths" and doesn't seem to enforce wattage; 20mph I think.

What's it like in Phoenix now with the scooter thing? I haven't been to Phoenix in a few years and last time I was there were scads of scooters everywhere. It seems that you can cell-phone app rent an e-scooter and get around the metro area.

If you are talking about the stand-up scooters, they showed up in numbers about two months ago. They seem to be popular in downtown Scottsdale on the weekends. I see them being used a lot more than the Lime and similar dockless bikes. I think we'll see some fatalities and serious injuries soon on them though. People are riding them like they walk - not paying attention to cars and signals. That's way more dangerous at 12 mph than at 3 mph.

Back