Determining pole count with a voltmeter

Talon

10 W
I just bought a brand new CA-DP from Grin. I have a 10" hubmotor on my scooter that has a DD motor with halls. How do I find out the pole # with a voltage meter off the CA plug? Which 2 wires do I check the poles from? I understand that the tire needs to be rotated 1 full turn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 8)

The motor must be hooked up to the controller, and powered on.

Black meter lead to hall ground.
Red lead to any hall signal.

If using CA connector on controller, black lead to CA ground (black), red lead to speedo signal (green, I think).

Most likely it's 23 poles; is very common.

amberwolf said:
Most likely it's 23 poles; is very common.

Hi amberwolf,

In my experience, the poles in the motor always come in pairs, N & S, therefore the number of poles is always even, except for the unipolar dynamo which has just one effectively. Could it be the parameter is actually "pole pairs"?

Been a long while since I have used a CA and I've not messed about with these types of motor.

Regards,

major

AFAIK, in the common BLDC hubmotors, the number of magnets is usually even, but is divided by two for the pole (pair) count, since one pole (pair) is usually a N/S pair (two magnets), since the commonly used latching hall sensors only change state when the pole changes (so you get 23 pulses for 46 magnets).

Back