Is pedaless ebikes illegal in NYC?

Dose anyone know what is the regulations in New York City on what kind of ebike is considered legal, specifically
I have my eye on getting an ebike that has no pedals and I am hoping that does not become an issue to get stopped, fined or having it taken away. Would appreciate anyone that can help me on this, thanks. You can also email me with your thoughts at L.E.S.contractors@gmail.com , thanks.

If it's something that conforms to the definition of a moped, then you can register it as one. New York State doesn't require a title for a moped.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-moped

If it's limited to 20mph, then all you need to do is register it-- no insurance, inspection, helmet, or motorcycle license required. It has to have a headlight that's always on when running.

I have no idea why NYC e-bikers and deliverymen don't use this provision more often to avoid trouble.

L.E.S.contractors said:
Dose anyone know what is the regulations in New York City on what kind of ebike is considered legal, specifically
I have my eye on getting an ebike that has no pedals and I am hoping that does not become an issue to get stopped, fined or having it taken away. Would appreciate anyone that can help me on this, thanks. You can also email me with your thoughts at L.E.S.contractors@gmail.com , thanks.

I'm pretty sure that an ebike must not be throttle controlled in NYC.

My thoughts are that you should probably use conventional english in your thread titles or many people will discount interacting with you in any positive way out of hand.

flat tire said:
My thoughts are that you should probably use conventional english in your thread titles or many people will discount interacting with you in any positive way out of hand.

NYC contains a lot of non-native English speakers.

Did they ever legalize e bikes in New York state at all? I may have not heard, but for decades, ALL e bikes were illegal in NY.

Not that that stopped many thousands from riding them in NYC, but what I'm getting at is pedals make it possible you look legal. No pedals obviously not, unless you can plate it as moped.

Back