My first massive controller with these connectors

ebike11

1 MW
Im starting to get into more serious setup and I got this 96V controller. It uses these ring terminals.
I had a couple of questions.

I dont have a vice or a crimping tool and the metal is too thick to crimp the wires by hand. Hammer maybe? Or safer ideas haha

I noticed that when I scuffed up the terminls, silver paint came off and revealed im guessing copper?
Is it a good idea to sand down the terminlas to get better contact?
Thanks in advance

https://ibb.co/0rpbbYJ
https://ibb.co/mttLrG3
https://ibb.co/9qj41tw

Copper oxidizes easily (turns from bright red to dull brown) and that thin oxide film is less conductive. It's not a huge problem at higher voltages (indoor 120V AC), but on an outdoor 12V system like cars, corrosion is a constant struggle.

The coating is likely to be tin or possibly zinc. If it was shiney, it is also possible to be nickel. All of those are less conductive than bare clean copper, but they are resistant to oxidation, and as long as the plating is thin, it is not a huge barrier to current.

spinningmagnets said:
Copper oxidizes easily (turns from bright red to dull brown) and that thin oxide film is less conductive. It's not a huge problem at higher voltages (indoor 120V AC), but on an outdoor 12V system like cars, corrosion is a constant struggle.

The coating is likely to be tin or possibly zinc. If it was shiney, it is also possible to be nickel. All of those are less conductive than bare clean copper, but they are resistant to oxidation, and as long as the plating is thin, it os not a huge barrier to current.

Ok thx for that!
Do you think i could cruedly tap the connector to pinch the wires?

ebike11 said:

If you want to, yea you could do it. It might vibrate loose though. A cheap cold chisel might help the crimp. It still is a "hit and miss" proposition though. I would research how car battery connectors are connected and follow suit.

:D :bolt:

e-beach said:
ebike11 said:

If you want to, yea you could do it. It might vibrate loose though. A cheap cold chisel might help the crimp. It still is a "hit and miss" proposition though. I would research how car battery connectors are connected and follow suit.

:D :bolt:

Ok thx...would there be a particular name of those ring terminals?

For $60ish you can get a proper hand hydraulic pressing crimp that comes with an assortment of dyes to suit a range of sizes. Very neat and super strong crimp.

Although overkill I insert wires, flux and solder then after crimping I heat up the fitting with a torch for what I feel is the best of both worlds......just on 8 gauge and heavier wire.

Tom

I use that type on large wires. First I bare just enough of the wire to fit in the connector. Then I grab one with the open side up with a vice or vice-grips, fill the cup with unmelted solder, and with a cheap can type torch melt the solder and add more until full. Then stick the wire in and hold it still until the solder solidifies...quick and simple with no worries of inadequate crimps.

Wear safety glasses and work where solder drops won't hurt the floor. Don't breath the fumes and don't heat it to a boil. If the terminal is a bit big for the wire, then splay the copper strands a bit for the copper strands to be closer the terminal walls, since solder isn't nearly as conductive as copper.

I keep two water sources nearby to reduce heat xfer up the wire to avoid insulation damage. One to squirt some cooling water immediately after inserting the wire, and a cup of water to dunk the whole end in after it solidifies and I can release the clamp.

Couldn't you Soldier, i have same controller and ill be doing same connectors but ill soldier them to my 8 gauge wire.

Surely you can get a crimping tool, on e bay if nothing else. Here in the USA they are in every hardware store. The affordable ones look like this, and can crimp a wide variety of terminals, up to about 8 gage. wire crimper.jpg

For joining two or more wires, in the house electrical section of the hardware store, you can find copper tubes called crimp sleeves, in various sizes.

Back