Tubeless Rim's What Brands ? Prices ?

Fixing Flats on Hub Motor Wheel Builds has gotten Old , There are more and more Tubeless Tires being sold now , and besides I want to go off road with some very low tire pressures and not have any pinch flats.

It is time to start using Tubeless Rims for Future Wheel Builds.

What Rim have you found ? 26/27.5/700c ?

What Rim do you have experience with going tubeless ?

Where did you buy it ? Price ?

There are other threads where there is discussion / different views on going Tubeless or Not,
So
Keep this thread devoted to listings of the Rims , Vendors , Prices , with Shipping costs and links.

Tubeless tires don't prevent flats, nor do they reduce the time and trouble your tires extract from you.

On the plus side, you can often choose the time and place to deal with your tires, rather than "right now" and "wherever you are right now".

On the minus side, they're much, much messier than regular tubed tires, and they take longer to deal with, and you'll need an air compressor or a special (and expensive) accumulator pump. The sealant curdles regularly and must be cleaned out and replaced regularly. If your tire burps or if the puncture is too big for the sealant, you'll be dealing with it right then and there anyway. Your tires start out nice and light, but can gradually build up a plaque of sticky, rubbery stuff that makes up the difference.

I guarantee you'll spending more total time fooling around with your tires if you go tubeless. But you'll get to ignore some punctures at the time they occur. Worth it? I don't think so. But some people do.

You can use the "ghetto tubeless" method to try it out with the rims you have now. Plug that search term into YouTube and see what you think.

Whatever you do, don't be that guy who opts in to tubeless and then pays someone else to deal with all of it. That is very much the equivalent of soiling your own pants on purpose, and then asking a professional to clean you up.

I done a ghetto tubeless job on a 26 inch rim with a 1.5 tyre and i got it to 80psi recommended max and the tyre slipped over the rim and blew clean off in my hand, the rim ended up a few metres from me where I'd chucked it out of reaction to what sounded like a bomb going off so do it outside I was using a garage airline so I had loads if area and chucked it out the shutter doors.

Luckily nothing was damaged so a good clean up with a new tube installed and it lives on, I'd recommend if you want tubeless get the correct rims or it will not perform the same burping as you go and losing air slowly over time even with sealant so it's performing worse and the weight saving is less when the needed sealant is added that is a moving fluid in the outer of the wheel its not a good idea it's mass is alot more than air so it helps the giro effect when its flung out to the edge of the wheel just get a tubeless tyre and rim it will be lighter and it's mass is solidly locked in place no sealant needed no gunk to clean and swap out 2 times a year.

Chalo,

I have already done the research you speak of, I will not go Ghetto because people have had the tire and rim separated at the worse possible times sometimes with injuries .
I am already looking at the fast inflators anyway ( $ 50 +/- a few ) since besides me there are many of the young riders these days that are using tubeless systems so it would be good to have one for anyone else who did not bring theirs along that day. It would not be the first time I provided assistance to a fellow biker that did not have the tools or equipment with them that day. ( I just need to find one for much less than the $ 50 which is possible , and no I am not going to use a converted coke bottle or fire extinguisher ) .

I actually have two different sets of Tubeless Tires now, As well as the Syringe and even some sealant since I have put sealant in my trailer tubes.
So I have everything except for the Rim .
I plan on only going Tubeless for the Rear Wheel/Tire where there is the Hub Motor so repairs at home are much more convenient, I know this already from several personal experiences with flats on the rear with hub motor.
And
I am looking at doing a new wheel build , so now is the time to just get a tubeless designed rim. ( as you know I can always put a tube in it if needed )

>

Ianhill

I have recently have read on MTB Forum's of instances where people tried the Ghetto experiment with bad results , and about burping. And how to not inflate it so much as you did , just enough to get the tire to bead, which is what the Tubeless tire inflators do since they are made mostly for MTB's . Remember one of the Main Reasons for going to a Tubeless system is more for running low tire pressures off road and not having pinch flats, even more than flat protection. Although I live in Goathead Thorn territory .
I have every thing except for the Rim and Rim Tape , so it will be cheap enough to do it right .

Why not look into thicker tires like the Schwalbe, adding a Thorn Proof tube, and adding the protectors or making your own out of old tubes. I just patched a bunch of mine and will be making my own protectors out of the thorn proof tubes. I bought like 4 of them from the community bicycle shop, now closed down probably for good or until season starts back up again, they are always moving. Thorn Proof old new stock, were $5 cdn, Amazon $12 cdn. Saved me a few times, with sidewall hemmroids.

I have been riding tubless off road for a few years now. Both DIY conversions and off the shelf stuff in 26" and 27.5".
After switching, flats went from a weekly occurrence to maybe once a year.
The only time I burped a little air was after hitting a tree stump with such force that would have probably snakebited a tube.
The downside compared to tubes is that on some applications tubless looses air when standing between rides faster than an average tube.

If you are concerned you can go with LUST tubless tires/rims. I found "tubless ready" tires/rims works great as well as DIY stuff ,, although DIY can be harder to set up.

Avner.

I been using tubeless a few years too. I used to buy tyres from chain reaction but as their prices are not so cut throat and now I have to pay tax on stuff from them I just buy locally.

When I used tubes I tried marathons as well as regular mtb tyres with polyurethane for off road. They worked well enough. I got a few flats a year still.

With tubeless I can run lower pressures and a lighter tyre. Frequency of punctures is still about the same because of the lower protection tyre but usually I can just let the sealant do its thing and inflate.

Chalo said:
On the minus side, they're much, much messier than regular tubed tires, and they take longer to deal with, and you'll need an air compressor or a special (and expensive) accumulator pump. The sealant curdles regularly and must be cleaned out and replaced regularly. If your tire burps or if the puncture is too big for the sealant, you'll be dealing with it right then and there anyway. Your tires start out nice and light, but can gradually build up a plaque of sticky, rubbery stuff that makes up the difference.

Chalo you've reminded me of a video or article I saw where they took a worn tubeless mtb tyre and painstakingly scraped out all of the "curds" and it ended up having a negligible weight of like 10 grams.

I'd agree that you need a compressor. I've only ever used proper tubeless rims and tyres but sometimes they can be quite stubborn.

Back