BLDC motor phase cable types

jurgislec

1 µW
Hi. I am not sure if this was discussed before, but I cannot seem to find the type of the cables used in BLDC HUB motors. The ones in the picture.

yrlRtnZ.png

It is not typical copper cable. It is more durable and stiff. Usually they are 2 or 3sq mm. I have already found pre-made motor cable assemblies on aliexpress but i really need to find the true name of this type of cable.

Hope somebody can help.

Much love!

jurgislec said:
Hi. I am not sure if this was discussed before, but I cannot seem to find the type of the cables used in BLDC HUB motors. The ones in the picture.

yrlRtnZ.png

It is not typical copper cable. It is more durable and stiff. Usually they are 2 or 3sq mm. I have already found pre-made motor cable assemblies on aliexpress but i really need to find the true name of this type of cable.

Hope somebody can help.

Much love!
Haha! That's my photo! FYI, the cable pictured is PTFE (Teflon) insulated wire.

The one catch with teflon insulation is that it is fragile to pressure/pinching, especially from sharp edges, such as those on the edges of motor axles. I've had a number of teflon-insulated wires damaged by various pressure-induced cuts, including once from zipties inside a motor tying the wire bundle to the stator support struts.

Friction (rubbing across it) doens't seem to cut in normal use, and higher temperatures seem fine, unlike regular plastic insulations that soften greatly when warmed up, but the pressure thing can be a problem.

As long as you ensure that won't occur, it can be nicer than other insulations, especiallly since it can be thinner for the same external wire size, so larger conductor fits in the same space.

This type of wire is much stiffer than normal because its a single strand conductor, sometimes called solid core. It's made of a single strand of thick copper rather than a cable of many smaller strands like normal electrical cable. It commonly used for the phase wires from controllers to motors, probably because its compact for its current carrying capacity and more suitable for soldering than typical high current cable made of many very fine strands that are more suited to crimping.

lionman said:
This type of wire is much stiffer than normal because its a single strand conductor, sometimes called solid core. It's made of a single strand of thick copper rather than a cable of many smaller strands like normal electrical cable. It commonly used for the phase wires from controllers to motors, probably because its compact for its current carrying capacity and more suitable for soldering than typical high current cable made of many very fine strands that are more suited to crimping.

Well, it is much stiffer but it is definitely not solid core. It has many strands and according to several sources it is waaay more durable to temperature extremes. Still, as amberwolf noted - it does get easily ripped by sharp edges. I have worked with these cables on various motors for several years now but never really knew the true name of it. Thank you guys so much!

o15jzNf.jpg

Back