What engine for super73 style bike

florkk

10 mW
Hello , im building frame similar to super73, i use 24 wheel and 3inch thick tire, bike will be mostly used on beach, sometimes i want to drive with passenger so two people on one bike, what engine should i buy? geared or direct drive? how much power? i wast thinking about dd somethink like 7x9 or 10x6, but maybe geared version will be better? i dont need much speed, about 30-36km/h more i need torque to drive in sand or with passenger.

As you want to ride through loose sand on a beach and maybe with passenger, I would advise a mid drive like the BBS02 or BBSHD.
That way you can gear down as much as needed without overheating the motor. In a frame like a Super73 you might be able to rotate the mid drive upwards "in" the frame so it doesn't drag through the sand. And you'll still have enough space for a battery in the frame also. Good luck and enjoy building. A few photo's of the build uploaded here would be appreciated 8)

If you must use a hub motor for that job, then use a MAC 12T. You'll need a lot more power in a hub drive than in a mid drive, if you are to have both sand riding torque and 30+ kph speed.

i know that best will be mid but they also need service , so mostly i want non service motor like dd

florkk said:
i know that best will be mid but they also need service , so mostly i want non service motor like dd

Then you should get the Leaf 1500W motor kit with the KT display, and perhaps opt for the two piece rim instead of using spokes. I know Chalo would not approve, but you can buy replacements from Leaf. Would have saved me many a re-lacing to a new rim, and spoke cost and rim cost.

what do you guys think about bafang bpm2 500w geared hub? i can choose 201, 260 or 328rpm on 24' wheel

Sounds to me like you need two hub motors, if you do go that way.

Sand plus weight, sounds like a 30 min meltdown to me.

Back