New setup will not throttle!

speedy1984

100 W
Hi all,
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to why my throttle is doing nothing? It worked on another setup but not on this build.First time wiring the sabvoton and qs motor up last night and went through hall test fine.Has lock wire direct to battery and throttle has a voltage gauge built in so its getting power. Phone app said no faults but there are a solid red light and a flashing green light on the controller Ive no idea what they mean. Any help or a nudge in the right direction would be helpful guys.

Thank for all the info bud :thumb: After some digging I found the throttle to not change the volts through its twist,It does have the 5v power supply but when sticking the tester in the neg and signal wires it has no power at all.Read it was supposed to have around 1v untwisted and around 4-5v full twist. Guess I just have a bad throttle unit :roll: After all my controller is telling me of no faults in the app so must just be this.

Your welcome! Yep sounds like your on to it.
Just for fun I'd recheck with the sensor wire disconnected... then look for a broken wire to the throttle. :wink:
Out of curiosity does your app show the system status? (throttle voltage)

Hi bud, it did at first but then for some reason it was lower. Had 80v battery and started showing 50 odd volts come to think of it.Just going to buy a new throttle tbh as this unit is scratch up anyway.

Actually gotta have two of everything, even digital multi meters, heck even soldering irons, two controllers, two throttles, lots of spare connectors, extra thick wire for the phase, extra thinner wire for the sense, extra 16awg'ish for the throttle, a bag of zip ties, a whole pack of electrical tape, a few rolls of duct tape, locking pliers
throw in a bldc configuration box while your at it ;)
the list goes on and on, I stash all mine in 3 tote boxes.
Because we all know how it sucks to not be able to just hop on your e-ride and kick it out n aboot

speedy1984 said:
Had 80v battery and started showing 50 odd volts come to think of it.

An 80v battery (20s?) at only 50v is either:
-- completely dead, probably damaged, at only 2.5v per cell, if it has no BMS,
** or **
-- if it does have a BMS it probably means the BMS has shut off pack output to prevent damage to it from overdischarge.

You should check the individual cell group voltages to ensure the battery itself doesnt' ahve a problem.

In either case, a controller designed to work with a 20s pack is very likely to have a low voltage cutoff (LVC) significantly higher than 50-something volts, so it would not do anything even with a working throttle. It's likely that the controller will not even send 5v power *to* the throttle under this condition, so no throttle will work, good or not.

Its just the app sometimes shows the wrong voltage for some strange reason the battery is fine. Now getting a strange error code(25 green led flashes) Power up no finish! No idea what that means. Also cant get the control to work on my laptop. Supposed to flash both rx and tx signal and im only getting tx signal in the app.Also got a new throttle connected but still no luck there either.Im doing something wrong I just don't know what lol. I mean it has 80v(it show correct voltage on throttle power display) hall test was complete and passed, throttle connected along with the lock wire direct to battery power. Again any help would be great pls guys.

Ok have it all connected to laptop now, so able to see what the controller is doing properly. So with the new throttle(Same model as before)the app is telling me the throttle is on, release to wipe error. Checked the throttle and it is at the same 4.8v at rest as it is twisted. So next question is how on earth do I get it to run less volts from untwisted. Its defo not in the app settings to run higher than 1.3v from untwisted, so im lost now.

Looks like this is the last problem before I can at least see the hub spin so any help AGAIN :lol: would be great :thumb:

Dumb question, but what voltage and amperage is your controller rated for?

And what is the model number of your controller?

:D :bolt:

speedy1984 said:
Checked the throttle and it is at the same 4.8v at rest as it is twisted.
Assuming you have the throttle connected to the controller's throttle wires ;) that means either you have a short in the wiring between power and throttle output, or a broken ground to the throttle, or a defective throttle (loose magnet, broken sensor, etc).

Based on your previous post that the throttle had *no* output (thus presumably zero volts, but since you don't say we can't know for sure and must assume instead), I would guess you have broken insulation in several conductors in your wiring, and they are shorting in different ways depending on how you handle the wiring harness.

You could also simply have multiple bad parts, each failed in different ways.

If the former is true, then if you put the old throttle back, you will likely get a different result than before. Also, moving wires around will probably get you different results, too, with old or new throttles.

If the latter is true, then if you put the old throttle back, you will get exactly the same result as before.

The app cannot control the throttle voltage.

At best it might be able to control what voltage range the controller *responds* to for throttle input.

speedy1984 said:
Its just the app sometimes shows the wrong voltage for some strange reason the battery is fine.
For accurate and helpful responses to your problems, I highly recommend that you state clearly where readings come from, and exactly what you are seeing and where you are seeing it, and how you are doublechecking each thing, when you post each time. Reread your posts before submitting to make sure each item in it is clear and contains all the info needed for someone else to understand it--someone that isnt' there with you, and can't otherwise know what you're testing, how you're testing it, what you're testing it with, and exactly what your results were. (all of which can be very important to determine what exactly is the cause of a particular problem).

It takes you more time, but if you are more clear, you will get better more helpful answers, and use up less time of others in troubleshooting nonexistent problems so they will have more time to help fix real ones. ;)

Does you controller app have a throttle setting?

I thought I was clear tbf, guess not. Im still learning so far from 100% on what im even doing at all.

e-beach said:
Does you controller app have a throttle setting?

It does yes bud. Problem is my throttle is at 4.8v all the time so changing setting in the app would not help.

If your throttle is 4.8 all the time then your wheel should be spinning all the time. Can you give us a picture of how you are metering your throttle?

No the sabvoton will not let the bike start up if the throttle is already at full when first plugged in. Any way good news is it was just a cold solder on the throttle signal wire and its all up and running :D Great to see the hub run after all this time building this bike from scratch. Thanks again for any help guys

This is my custom frame build btw :)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtEzFpDHvLw/

e-beach said:
If your throttle is 4.8 all the time then your wheel should be spinning all the time.

That depeends--if a controller has any fault detection (like this one does, based on previous posts above), it will see a high throttle at powerup and refuse to operate until it is power cycled again wihtout a throttle fault, specifically to prevent runaway conditions.

Back