Used Bikes

2old

100 kW
This might be of general interest. Occasionally I see a bike for sale that appears to have been used minimally, but battery is dead, so difficult to test. What is a reasonable expectation? Is it likely there will be something like a controller that doesn't work and can't be replaced because the model is old or the company out of business or can these problems be overcome?

I have found one that MAY have a bad controller, the others were fine. I've even found at times the battery could be salvaged.

One guy insisted he was this trained electrician and the whole thing was burned out. He apparently was never trained in a single wire short. I'd say there's an excellent chance of getting it home and fixing it.

Now I usually find them to be low power, uncomfortable to ride, not much to recommend them. But I'm sure you can guess if you want it or not from looking at it.

Dauntless said:
I have found one that MAY have a bad controller, the others were fine. I've even found at times the battery could be salvaged.

One guy insisted he was this trained electrician and the whole thing was burned out. He apparently was never trained in a single wire short. I'd say there's an excellent chance of getting it home and fixing it.

Now I usually find them to be low power, uncomfortable to ride, not much to recommend them. But I'm sure you can guess if you want it or not from looking at it.

Maybe a stripped gear, or burnt windings.
I purchased a BMC/MAC V1 motor with stripped gears for $20.

I have also purchased a Crystalyte motor with burnt windings which for the price I paid, wasnt good. Should have opened the cover. I know you probably lurk around here somewhere, J...L... Blvd/14st NW guy you. No big deal. I did smell it :lol: well no one here, but you know whom you are. Good times, oh memories.

Usually ebikes the batteries are toast, they try to get a quote on replacement and its too much.
Same with bicycles, a ripped off r.d. or a bent crank. Just low ball them. My problem sometimes is I dont haggle ;) yes you ;)

Yeah, what he said. I left out that sometimes they LOST the charger, that's what's cheap about it.

Miscellaneous parts like a freewheel can be intimidating to people who don't work on things, while the shop hits them up big.

Back