MXUS 3k (clones) max copper fill

hias9

1 kW
I recently had a MXUS 3k 3T clone here.
Unfortunately it only had a M14 axle although advertised with M16 axle, but it had significantly less phase-to-phase resistance than the original mxus v3 3T (including phase wires 55mohms vs. 67mohms)
Both are winded 21x3T (the original mxus has 24x3T written inside, but it is also only 21x3T).
The copper winding wire diameter of the clone is thicker (0.57-0.58mm vs. 0.52-0.53mm) which is causing the lower resistance.

Did anybody already (re)wind such a stator and is the winding of that clone already close to the maximum copper fill?

hias9 said:

Rewinding is not really a thing, some have done it to RC motors and the bigger RC motors but I havent seen anyone here on Endless Sphere rewind any hub motor...... yet. I am sure someone will direct us to a link, the search wizardry at work :wink:

As for the different diameter windings, not sure how that comes about but my bet is they just buy the motor unwound because they have found cheaper labor.... and smaller fingers.... to wind them motor windings into the wire.

21x3T (the original mxus has 24x3T
I dont know about that, maybe their just winging it and hoping no one inspects. How would one even inspect to ensure the winding count is right, 24 wraps instead of 21 wraps. Pheewwww I dunno.

markz said:
Rewinding is not really a thing, some have done it to RC motors and the bigger RC motors but I havent seen anyone here on Endless Sphere rewind any hub motor...... yet. I am sure someone will direct us to a link, the search wizardry at work :wink:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=rewind+hub+&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=rewind+hub+&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=firstpost&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

markz said:
How would one even inspect to ensure the winding count is right, 24 wraps instead of 21 wraps. Pheewwww I dunno.

That's easy. Just open it and count the strands. They just made a mistake writing down 24x3T. It only has 21 strands. Although winding it 24x3T should be possible I think. The clone however is also 21x3T but with 10% thicker wire diameter.

hias9 said:
markz said:
How would one even inspect to ensure the winding count is right, 24 wraps instead of 21 wraps. Pheewwww I dunno.

That's easy. Just open it and count the strands. They just made a mistake writing down 24x3T. It only has 21 strands. Although winding it 24x3T should be possible I think. The clone however is also 21x3T but with 10% thicker wire diameter.

Ah that makes sense, count the strands on the end of the phase where they go to the insulated wire, even then they are all bunched up.

markz said:
hias9 said:

As for the different diameter windings, not sure how that comes about but my bet is they just buy the motor unwound because they have found cheaper labor.... and smaller fingers.... to wind them motor windings into the wire.

21x3T (the original mxus has 24x3T
I dont know about that, maybe their just winging it and hoping no one inspects. How would one even inspect to ensure the winding count is right, 24 wraps instead of 21 wraps. Pheewwww I dunno.

The first number is the number of strands, the 2nd number is the number of turns. Rewinding a hubmotor is a fairly normal thing to do, but it takes a ton of work, and in my project of rewinding one I sadly didn't end up getting ANY improvement in copper fill over the stock winding, despite taking my time and trying to get a high fill%.

Back