Lost a new ebike off bike rack last Saturday Feb 16

Hwy89

10 kW
Last Saturday Feb 16 I was hauling two ebikes on the back of my van. I traveled California SR 24 from Imperial Dam to US hwy 8 in Winterhaven Ca.then crossed the bridge into Yuma AZ for gas. While filling the van with gas I noticed that one of the bikes was gone.
The missing bike is a Motive Smoothie, blue in color with a Q128 rear hub motor and an S12S controller. The battery was not mounted on the bike so I still have it.
I immediately retraced my route and did not find the bike. If anyone in the Yuma Az area hears of someone with an Ebike looking for a battery please contact me.

Keep checking Craigslist , it might go up for sale. Once the person who finds it sees it needs a battery they might try to get rid of it somehow.

Call the Police in those areas and see if they can take a lost or possible stolen , report over the phone.

( I has something stolen off my bike last week when it was on the rack of my car, and I was only away from the car for a couple of minutes ! ) Welcome to California , There is allot of theft here in this State .

Sorry to hear that. Maybe put a modest reward in Craigslist too since the individual who found it might think that's more attractive than an e-bike he doesn't have a battery for. Let us know how it turns out.

I feel for you if it's a little bit Halo. I've have had two electric bikes stolen . I now go for the homeless look on my bikes they're ugly.

Check the scrapyards. It might still be in the windshield of a scrapped small car. :mrgreen:

999zip999 said:
I feel for you if it's a little bit Halo. I've have had two electric bikes stolen . I now go for the homeless look on my bikes they're ugly.

That is so funny, thats the way to do it!!

I did make a lost post on the Yuma Craigslist offering a $100.00 dollar reward. Since it was a $65.00 used bike, a $70.00 motor and a $30.00 controller any more than that would be silly. Fortunately the battery was inside the van and not on the bike.

Hwy89 said:
$65.00 used bike, a $70.00 motor and a $30.00 controller

So you are not out a lot then, bicycles can be found anywhere for free, people give them away, others abandon them.
What motor and controller did you have?

After having a windsurfer board fly off the roof of my Cherokee, it was the last time I trusted a single bungee or rope for a tie down. The board had two bungees, one on each end. Now I carry stuff with double bungee on each end, or more than two ropes.

On a bike rack that carries the bike by the wheels, i put an aditional bungee on each wheel, in addition to the mechanical clamps on the frame. I've had the wheels jump out of the loops and start dragging a bike. Bent the shit out of a wheel, fortunately the front one. So much for trusting that rack, that looked bomb proof.

Kyacks on roofs get three ratcheting rope tie downs instead of two.

Its just murphy's law that ropes bust, clamps loosen, and your shit is all over the road. Chances are, the bike was bent to hell by the fall anyway, so ,,, Oh Well.

Back