BBS01 Chain line - chain ring with improved offset 42t

martinw

1 mW
Hi,

I installed BBS01B 350w mid drive kit today, my 29" frame is a bit wide - it would be great to have chain ring with better offset (currently I have 'default' chain ring 46t installed - it has about 9mm (0.35 inch) offset. I am not able to use two largest wheels on 10sp cassette (11/36) in the back :shock: Ideal 'straight' chain line is when chain is on second smallest wheel. Chain and cassette wear would be significant as I will use bike in more hilly terrain and usually with max. assistance support. I don't need 46t as 15.5mph is legal limit.

I have tried to install 36t chain ring (lekkie) but it's too small = offset there is zero. It's even worse than before :D ( I am stupid I did not check offset before I ordered it). I guess that 42t is only viable option for me.

I will probably order this one : http://www.ebikeclub.it/shop/it/accessori/46-corona-42-denti-per-bafang-centrale-bbs01-e-bbs02.html

but I will be happy for some other options or solutions...

I'm using a 30t chain ring which I need for steep off road climbing. This makes the chain line terrible in the lowest gears as there is no offset in the front.

The solution I used was to "edit" the rear cassette, by taking it apart and rearranging the cogs so the low gears were more toward the middle. Originally it was a 10 speed cassette. Now it's 6 or 7 and I set the stop on the shifter so it doesn't go past the lowest gear.

With an ebike, you really don't need such closely spaced gears. I think I'd be fine with 4 or 5 gears widely spaced.

Cassette Edited.jpg

Almost the same solution; discovered that 11-17-28 in eight-speed spacing was adequate for my needs with a BBS02, and it worked perfectly. The "17" was a straight chainline so it was "off" only one cog on either side. Also used 30 tooth front since that satisfied my off road needs. Turned out it was the first three gears so I just used spacers all the way to the terminus of the cassette. As a bonus, I was able to use a $20 Shimano Altus derailleur, $10 shifter, three inexpensive cogs and a $8 eight-speed chain which was wider and (maybe) more durable.

Back